So, Super Bowl XLVII is in the books. A game that threatened to turn into a blow-out actually became a very interesting game (especially after the power blow-out).
Looking back years from now, what will we remember about this game? The Black Out? The stunning pre-game performance of “America, the Beautiful” by the students from Sandy Hook Elementary (with Jennifer Hudson)?
A few plays may stand out but, after a while, don’t most of those fade? How many do you remember from last year’s Super Bowl? The year before?
Throughout 47 Super Bowls, I would argue that only a handful of plays stand out. Sadly one of the most notable was the last play of Super Bowl XXXIV when the Titans came up one yard short on the last play of the game.
Otherwise, there was Lynn Swann’s great catch in Super Bowl X, there was the Joe Montana pass to John Taylor, there have been a few last second field goal attempts (some good; some not). But most games fade into our memory until we see NFL Films highlights some years later and remember the key moments.
As I’ve told you before, I often mark major events on our own timeline – a comparison/contrast to where we were and what we were doing at the time.
I was telling Holly, yesterday, that the thing I remember most about the first Super Bowl I can remember (hint: it was one of the earlier ones) is that I successfully learned to tie my tennis shoes that day.
The Super Bowls that came along during my childhood and teen years were frequently juxtaposed against the other neighborhood kids who rooted for rival teams. The Oakland Raiders I rooted for so strongly as a kid lost a number of heartbreakers to the Pittsburgh Steelers so, naturally, you dreaded your first encounter with a Steeler backer after they won a Super Bowl in the 70s.
When I moved into the dating era, I actually missed two Super Bowls because the games coincided with dates. Ironically, both of those involved the 49ers. I didn’t see them actually win a Super Bowl until their third try – the come from behind winner in Super Bowl XXIII.
By then, Lisa and I had eased into the ‘early marriage phase’ of our relationship and we often invited friends over (or were invited) to watch ‘The Big Game.’ I experienced most of the Super Bowls in the 20s that way. And, then, my Fantasy Football years began, and Super Bowl gatherings often included fellow league members.
Super Bowls in those eras were as much a social event as they were about watching a sporting event.
Since then, our Super Bowl watching has been varied. We hosted baseball families the first year we lived in this house.

That was year of Super Bowl XXXVII – when the Raiders played, and lost, ‘The Big Game.’ That was the Super Bowl that got so much attention back, back, back, back in the days leading up to this one.
In the Choppers’ heyday, we frequently watched the Super Bowl with some other baseball families (including our dear friends, the Golds, who hosted a Super Bowl bash the years New Orleans beat Indy in one Super Bowl and Green Bay downed Pittsburgh the next).
Last year, we just took it easy at home (I think Paul was under the weather). Last night, I enjoyed watching the game with Holly (with Lisa mildly paying attention and Paul around the corner at a chorus party).
What will you remember about last night’s game? Maybe a few plays. Maybe a few commercials.
But maybe the thing you will remember the most is how you spent a wonderful evening with friends or family on one of America’s unofficial National Holidays.
JG
Originally posted 2/4/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment