Thursday, July 22, 2021

What the Devil!

Now that we’ve all made it through Christmas, we can all admit that we survived that one encounter with that difficult guest who was invited to our party. We used all our best relaxation techniques. We diverted conversations. We counted to 10. We walked away.

For me, my yearly encounter is NOT with Great Aunt Betty…or Cousin Bert. Every year, I have to suffer through a visit from my annual nemesis…the Deviled Egg. The item is aptly named, I must say.

But think about it: Why do we insisted on bringing an item named DEVIL to a Christmas celebration?!? Ponder that thought for a minute.

I tiptoe around this issue with my relatives who insist on bringing them (and eating them) every year. But, here I will be more blunt. I HATE DEVILED EGGS!

Now, by simple virtue of me typing that statement, I know that I’ve offended some of you. As much as it surprises me to no end, there are quite a few people who love the things. I just don’t.

Yesterday when I brought this up at lunch, I was scolded. But here, it’s just me and the keyboard so there is no one to object. No one to tell me I can’t express myself! Vent away, Jeffie.

I don’t like how they look; I don’t like how they smell. I do not like them - no I don’t (not even if they were green). I didn’t even want to include a picture for this posting (though I would have CERTAINLY had plenty of opportunities to photograph one of those little devils the last two days).

IF you really want to see a photo, you can click the content source at the bottom of the page and you can see all of ‘em you want.

As I perused the web, I was sad to see that deviled eggs didn’t make a lot of the “Top 10 Most Hated Foods” sites I visited. Some other culprits were there: liver, cavaliar, beets, brussel sprouts. Those are all good choices. I’m just shocked (and dismayed) that MY #1 most hated couldn’t even garner an 'honorable mention.’

There were a few sites where folks mentioned not liking them. But, alas, I fear I’m in the minority - albeit a vocal one - on this topic.

This brings me back to my earlier question. Why?

At Thanksgiving, I always seem to manuever around the egg plate (fortunately it only appears at the evening gathering…so I get a pass at lunch). But, the order of family dinners are reversed for Christmas. So my generous wife ALWAYS makes sure to keep PLENTY of deviled eggs from the first gathering to have at the second.

It’s kind of like asking Cousin Bert to stay a little longer just when he was ready to head out the door.

As I said earlier, I survived this year’s encounter. And, in checking my calendar, I won’t have to see this 'guest’ again for another 11 months. I won’t miss it, either.

Now, if someone wants to bring Devil’s Food Cake next year…he can sit right next to me and I’ll show all the Southern hospitality you’d expect!

JG

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/10-foods-we-love-to-hate9.htm

(Source: pinchmysalt.com)

Originally posted 12/26/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...