Thursday, July 29, 2021

The Boys in the Woods

Over the last few weeks, I have had the occasion to work outside a great deal. It really has been a beautiful fall season in 2012.

Around here, we’ve had a ton of leaves this fall. Lisa suggested that maybe we have more leaves this year because we had fewer leaves last year in the wake of the infamous hail storm that brought so many of them down in the spring of 2011.

Or maybe it just seems like there are more.

Anyway, I’ve been raking, blowing and toting them to various spots at the edge of our woods as I told you a couple weeks back.

Almost every time I’m outside these days, I hear a symphony of sounds:

  • The Red-tailed Hawks that nest in our woods
  • A few barking dogs off in the distance
  • The occasional jet passing over in the landing path for McGhee Tyson Airport (the other day I noticed a Fedex plane making its final descent)

And recently, I’ve been hearing a new sound - the boys in the woods. 

Our house is on a street at the edge of our neighborhood. Behind our house and the others on our street are the aforementioned woods.

image

On the other side of these woods - or the ‘forest’ as these youngsters would consider it - is another street from the neighboring neighborhood. From what I have observed, I believe these young fellahs (seems like there are two of them) must live in one of those homes. Maybe they are brothers or possibly just good pals.

And from what I’ve been able to determine, they’ve been having a 'big time’ exploring the forest this fall.

Sometimes, I will hear them playing some sort of 'explorer’ game. At other times, they will be exploring and will say something about some discovery. And on other occasions, you’ll just hear them talking. Boys being boys.

I figure they must be around 11 or so. Their banter reminds me of some of the playing we used to do when I was a kid.

One other thing about these guys…one of them is quite a singer. And he has quite a diverse repertoire of musical selections. Many of his musical numbers seem to have a country flair (not really my taste) but I have heard him singing some pop tunes as well.

He can really belt out a tune.

Any way, as I’ve been raking leaves or winterizing things around the outside of my house, I’ve gotten a kick out of hearing these guys. They’ve been having a lot of fun and they have brought a smile to my face a time or two this fall from the a twang of a somewhat off-key song to their boyish excitement of just being outside on a nice day.

JG

Originally posted 11/11/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...