Thursday, July 29, 2021

New beginnings

The page turns. A new chapter begins.

Today, I started a new job.

Last year, on New Year’s Day, I began my job search in earnest. I passed the word to my network of friends - including many of the folks reading this blog - that I was on the job market. I sent emails and Facebook notes, I joined some job boards, I retooled my resume.

I left no stone unturned in my search for a new position combing through website after website. Meanwhile, as I continued in my old position, I redoubled my efforts to do the best job possible until a new opportunity came along. Winter bloomed into spring; spring grew into summer; summer faded to fall.

When fall rolled around, I could detect a new trend. Maybe it was the election? Optimism over a potential change, or at least, satisfaction that a resolution to a two-year old contest was drawing near. In any case, I started to come across some very tangible leads.

About a month ago, I interviewed for the head marketing position for NOCCR and recently, they offered me the position. Last week, I wrote about saying goodbye at my old job; today I am blogging about my first day on the new job.

It’s fun and exciting work. The team was very warm and welcoming when I came to work today. And it’s nice to be back doing the work I have focused on for most of my career.

Thanks to all of my friends who offered encouragement and support. Thanks, too, for reading Coach Jeff.

I’ll have a little more time to focus on this blog now that I won’t need to be reading the latest job search blog!

JG

Originally posted 11/12/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...