A little over three years ago, a fellow church member at Farragut Presbyterian Church asked if he could talk to me after that morning’s service.
Usually, when someone asks you a question like that, he’s not asking you to meet to talk about the weather. I figured as much.
Turns out, he was a representative of the church’s Nominating Committee. He wanted to ask me if I would consider accepting a nomination to become an elder and a member of The Session at our church. I prayerfully considered his request and a few days later, I called him back to tell him I would accept.
I’m honored that he asked and it has been my pleasure to serve. What an amazing ride it has been.
By way of some background, in the Presbyertian Church, The Session is kind of like a Board. It is similar to the Church Council for the Lutheran Church (ELCA), I suppose, or even somewhat like the Episcopal Church’s Vestry.
At our church, elders are elected to three year terms. The group is divided into three year ‘classes’ much the way the U.S. Senate is divided. Each year, roughly a third of the Session rotates off at the same time a new class of Elders is installed.
Another facet of service on the Session @ FPC is that you also serve as a co-chair of one of the church’s eight standing committees.
For the past three years, I have served as co-chair of our New Member Development Committee. And, two years ago, I also agreed to serve a two-year term on the church’s Nominating Committee - the group I mentioned earlier.
Last year I assisted the chair of the committee. This year, I moved up to chair the committee. We had a wonderful team and they worked very hard to put together a very strong group.
Today, at our annual congregational meeting (between early and late services), I presented our new slate of elders to be voted on by the congregation.
Really, it was my last official duty as a member of this Session. Sometime soon, the new elders will be installed and the Class of 2012 elders will conclude their service.
In essence, I concluded my term with the presentation of the class of new elders.
When I met with my fellow church member a little over three years ago, I had no idea what was in store for me. I had never really thought I’d be asked to serve in this capacity. And, over the course of the last three years, I’ve learned a tremendous amount about our church (and our denomination). I’ve met some amazing people and I’ve had some very meaningful and rewarding experiences.
It’s been an honor and a privilege to serve my church.
JG

(Source: pcusa.org)
Originally posted 1/22/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment