We didn’t set out to pick San Francisco as a family vacation destination in 2012; it just worked out that way. Lisa found some great airline deals that went from here…to there.
That’s how the conversation began.
Two months later, I’m writing the second installment of a three-part series looking back at our Vacation 2012. It was a great one.
In the week leading up to our vacation, I logged on to learn about our hotel, the area of town where we’d be staying and I read up on flight info. Also, I kept checking the long-range weather forecast and couldn’t believe my eyes. High temperatures in the mid 60s; lows in the low 50s.
And, as it turned out, it’d be that way all week.
Thus began the vacation that I will always remember for its differences. Everything there, it seemed, is different than it is here. You start with those electric blue skies and then let your eyes meander up and down the coast with its rocky hills dotted with cottages and bunagloes.
You don’t see that back home.
We got a series of “Wows!” as we took a cab ride up Hwy. 101 from the airport to downtown San Fran. Lisa noted that we had never been somewhere before where there are mountains overlooking the ocean. Taking that further, most of the mountains WE are familiar with have lush vegetation; many of the Cali mountains we saw are barren (or at least tree-less).
It’s not that way in East TN, either.
Walking through the streets of San Francisco, we saw numerous other landmarks that reminded us that “we ain’t back home.” One drive across the Golden Gate bridge – celebrating its 75th anniversary this year – cemented that idea; the ride back across drove home the notion further. Later, I read that if there are 10 American landmarks all kids should should see, that is one of them.
So…Gary kids…check the box.

It wasn’t on this list of 10, but our trip to a redwood forest (Muir Woods) should be another. We’re used to seeing big trees in the Smokies. These ancient giants dwarf our’s.
What a majestic sight.
We also visited a number of the traditional touristy locations that come to mind when you consider a trip to San Fran:
- Alcatraz
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Chinatown
- Pier 39
We also learned that public transportation is a hallmark of any visit to the city by the bay. During our trip, we rode:
- Subway
- Train
- Bus
- Street Car
And, as I mentioned earlier, we flew into and out of SFO and took a cab from and to the airport. We also did a lot of foot travel in and around town.
As we shuffled through the streets, I noticed the tremendous diversity that you hear so much about with regard to this city – people from all walks of life; people from all corners of the world. Sadly, there seemed to be a tremendous number of homeless individuals in the city. I’m not sure if the pleasant climate is a magnet or perhaps the laid back California attitude.
It’s hard, at times, to enjoy a vacation when you see so many who are suffering. Or if you do, it’s hard not to feel guilty.
It’s a weightier discussion for another time, I suppose, and not for this edition.
As I mentioned yesterday, we’ve been very blessed to have enjoyed a number of great family vacations and I’d put this one right up near the top of the list.
Someone at work asked me if I’d recommend a vacation to San Francisco and I definitely would do so. We had a great experience and we came home with a suitcase full of memories to last a lifetime.
JG
Second in a Three Part Series.
(Source: goldengatebridge75.org)
Originally posted 6/4/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment