I sent an email this morning to one of my closest childhood friends wishing him a Happy Birthday. I got a nice note back and we exchanged pleasantries.
I have a facility for remembering birthdays for some reason. But in his case, the recollection is a bit little easier. For me, there’s just something about November 27.

Over the course of my life, I have met a number of people who were born on this date:
- College roommate
- Another childhood classmate
- Former girlfriend when I was in college
- Former co-worker (and current friend)
- Guy who lived up the street when I was growing up
There may be more. If there are, I’ve not committed them to memory. If I know you and your birthday is today and you don’t fall into one of the above-mentioned categories, you have my apologies!
According to Facebook, my former dentist has his birthday on this date. I never knew.
My question is…what is it about November 27?
Coincidence? Something about how the date falls with regard to Thanksgiving (Recently, the 27th fell on Thanksgiving in years: 1980, 1986, 1997, 2003, 2008 and it does again in 2014) but on or near it other years)? Something totally different?
It’s really hard for me to draw any significant conclusions. More than anything, for me, it is a curiosity.
I know I’ve told you before about the clusters of people in my life who have birthdays on the 17th (not one specific 17th…just all of ‘em). In a way, this is similar but different.
My mom often reminds me that the son of one of her friends was born on February 29. That’s a curiosity, but, not quite the same. Holly says that when she was in high school, she knew a number of classmates in the September 25 club. That’s a little closer.
At the end of the day, for whatever the reason, I pause and think of all of those people who share this birthday. Some of them met each other – mostly through me – but many of them have no connection – except in my mind…and on my calendar.
So, as I think of the role the people of the 27th have played in my life, I smile; I remember. It’s all good.
So, to all of you in that elite club, I salute you on your day. I hope you have a VERY Happy Birthday!
JG
Originally posted 11/27/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment