Sunday, July 25, 2021

Pitchers and Catchers Report!

Back on November 2, I blogged about the end of the 2011 baseball season and the start of the “Hot Stove League.” The notion of ‘talking baseball’ throughout December and January would just have to do us until we made it safely to February.

Folks. Here we are. And I confirmed the wonderful news just a minute ago on the Atlanta Braves site. Today…“Pitchers and Catchers Report!” Pitchers and catchers check in today, full team workouts take place Friday and then, spring training will be officially underway for 2012.

At last.

It seems like a year since Holly and I went to see the Braves play the Marlins back in September!

image

I gotta tell ya…It’s tough for a baseball fan to make it through winter.

It was a BIT easier for me when I coached the Choppers. Our season lasted until late October. In November, we always had league business to do and, then, many teams started back up with indoor workouts after the first of the year. So, really, December was the only down time.

The other part of the off-season, though, was spent filling out your roster, doing some extra skills work inside (pitching fundamentals, for example) and working out the schedule for the upcoming season - both league games and tournaments.

image

Even when I was in a serious fantasy baseball league, you could always engage yourself in reading about players and prospects all winter long.

But now that I’m out of both of those activities, I’m just like everyone else - waiting from October to February with the masses.

It’s here now and hallelujah for that! Just 45 days 'til Opening Day.

JG

Question of the Day: How did you occupy yourself during the baseball offseason?

(Source: atlantabraves.com)

Originally posted 2/19/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...