Thursday, July 22, 2021

My Favorite Restaurant - Archer’s BBQ

Recently, Lisa and I have developed a pattern for our Friday nights that we really enjoy. We’ve been having dinner at Archer’s BBQ (http://archersbbq.com/in Farragut.

Last night, we went to dinner there before the FHS Comedy Improv Show; on the Friday before, we went before heading to “Willy Wonka.”

I guess you’d say it’s our favorite restaurant. As often as we go there, I’m sure that’s true.

With my family’s West TN roots, we’ve always had a passion for Memphis-style ‘Q.’ From my earliest days, hanging out at Pap Gary’s farm north of Memphis (near Millington), we always enjoyed Memphis Q. He often ordered from a local place called Tops, but really, we ate all brands of barbecue.

It was a family tradition.

Needless to say, when I read last winter that this chap, Archer, was going to be opening a restaurant in Farragut featuring Memphis-style BBQ, it definitely got my attention. We ate there for the first time on the last weekend in February. No…I don’t chart my visits to restaurants THAT closely…it’s just that my best friend, Ed, was in town for my parents’ 50th anniversary celebration so I remember it for that reason.

We enjoyed our visit - and our food - on that first visit and have on every subsequent visit. I couldn’t tell you HOW MANY times we’ve been to Archer’s. Let’s just say 'A LOT’ and call it done.

Apart from the food itself, there are many things I love about this restaurant. I love the homey (and 'rustic’) atmosphere. I love the fact this is a family business. I love the fact that it’s a good restaurant right here in our Town (and that we don’t have to drive to Turkey Creek, or West Town Mall, or some place like Sutherland Avenue to get to it).

I also like the fact that the friendly staff at Archer’s recognize Lisa and I as some of their 'regulars’ now. It feels natural to have a place like that so close to home when you live in a small suburban town like we do.

Oh, did I mention I love the barbecue, too? Lisa’s a big fan of the potato salad. I love the fries. And a few weeks back, I ate a piece of orange-pineapple cake that would melt in your mouth.

We got take out from Archer’s for my birthday. We took some frozen Q over to Ed when we passed through his town on vacation. And when we were putting together the schedule of events last summer for the one year observance of the Concord Choppers’ County Championship, we invited many of the team families and players to join us for dinner there one night.

In all, I guess there were at least 20 of us there that night. We were talking about doing that again, too, some time in the near future.

And when we go, I’m sure we’ll have another great experience. We always do. Have you been?

JG

(Source: knoxnews.com)

Originally posted 12/17/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...