Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Insanity

Today was the official FHS registration day called “Summer Insanity.”

I tried to get to the bottom of why it is considered insane, but no one could really tell me. Simply put, this is the day you can pick up your final schedule, join clubs and organizations and pay fees. It sounds quite orderly to me.

In some ways, the way we did things at FHS a generation ago was insane. They have way more information available to students now. Plus, I don’t remember any organized way we were able to join clubs (there wasn’t, for example, a Club Day). And paying of fees was done piecemeal.

For the Admiral Performing Arts Club (the drama organization at FHS), it’s a great way to promote the program and recruit new members.

In many ways, I like what they do with this day.

On the other hand, one thing I don’t like about the modern registration process: the students have very little control about what courses they take, when they take them and with whom. Back in the day, we had that control at our fingertips.

The current students fill out a scan form (usually in the early part of spring). They list a number of courses they’d prefer to have (and some they must take). They also list up to three alternate courses (in case their preferences are filled) and the guidance counselors take it from there.

Don’t get me wrong – I love the FHS Guidance Counselors. They do a great job. They provide great advice. And I’m sure it’s a big task to manage all those schedules.

I just liked the way we did it – with essentially the same number of students – better.

Our classes registered in rank order (rising seniors down to rising freshmen) and, within each class, there was a blind draw to determine which group went first (in other words the “Abernathy-Bedford” group did not always go before “Williams-Zachary”). Garcia-Harness often went somewhere in the middle.

Each of us had a form divided into two semesters (each with six slots per semester) and you’d take that form from table to table where teachers would physically register you for a class. There was a little ‘strategery’ involved as you went from table to table. For example, if you wanted a certain popular teacher whose class frequently filled up, you’d go there first. Or if you wanted to take a class with few sections, you’d hit that table early in the process, too.

You could also work with your friends to make sure they, too, went to the same tables in the same orders and selected the same sections.

For example, if I wanted to take U.S. History or Chemistry with my two close friends, Ed and Wayne, we’d all decide we wanted “Mr. Jones for U.S. History 3rd Period.” And that’s what we’d request. Or Ms. White for Chemistry 5th Period. Same deal.

Generally speaking, if you did a little pre-planning, you’d get the courses you wanted when you wanted them (and, frequently, you’d get to be in a section with your pals).

Maybe it’s just easier to use the automated method (or maybe they use to it discourage friends from teaming up). But, I loved our way. There was always a certain bit of excitement when you talked to your friends and found out that, they too, got Mr. Allen for Freshman Guidance 4th period!

One time, I saw that one of the typing teachers was about to place me in the section opposite the one Wayne got and I did some fast talking to get her to switch me to her class. She was on to me. I know it. When she asked me, “And why is it you’d prefer this teacher and not the other?” I answered, “Because, I heard she was the best.”

She smiled a knowing grin, looked over the edge of her reading glasses (as she glanced down at my name), “Well, Mr. Gary, I’ll be looking forward to having you in my class.” (And I’m sure, instantly, my name went on the watch list!).

You see, there was a downside to the personal approach, too.

Insanity? Maybe. Nostalgic. Absolutely.

As for today’s Summer Insanity, I heard it went well. Not insane at all.

PG

Originally posted 8/7/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...