Thursday, July 22, 2021

Gary Family Top 10 Stories for 2011 (Part 2)

Hello again

Last night, I wrote to tell you about some of our family’s top stories of 2011. In our ‘countdown’ we got from #10 down to #6.

Here’s a brief recap:

  • 10. Our Year in Sports
  • 9. (Auto)Tuning into the Mash-ups
  • 8. April Storms Bring Autumn Roofs
  • 7. Tennessee Volunteers
  • 6. Lisa’s Work Accomplishments

So, as Casey says, “Now…on with the countdown!”

5. This blog…and a few other things - This year, I launched my blog. It was a part of my effort to expand my knowledge of some communication tools and freshen up some of my work-related skills. I love to write and I love the field of public relations. I love using the proper communication tool to deliver a message to the proper audience.

This year, I launched my website (jeffdgary.com), updated my LinkedIn page, and communicated via social media tools, Facebook and Twitter.

4. Paul’s FHS Accomplishments - This was a very good year for Paul Gary. In particular, he had a great fall. He began serving as “Admiral Dave,” the Farragut High School mascot. He was chosen to be a leader on the school’s Improv Team. He also landed the lead role in the fall production of “Cyrano” and the musical, “Willy Wonka.”

I could go on but then, I would just sound like a bragging parent (OK…I AM a bragging parent). Suffice to say, in so many ways, he has had a wonderful year!

image

3. Holly’s Great Year, too - So, one good turn deserves another! Holly’s year was rich and full of great experiences as well. I think she’d tell you her trip to Bonnaroo was one of the highlights of 2011 (if not the top). She also had her radio gig (both in the spring and fall) on 90.3 The Rock (UT’s College of Rock). 

image

She did a fantastic job in her school work. Meanwhile she also got a great job at Archer’s BBQ in Farragut. She absolutely loves the job.

It’s been a great year for her and I know she’s looking forward to an amazing 2012.

2. Gary Vacations - We have always made a point of emphasizing our wonderful family vacations and sidetrips. We took two great summer trips - a week at the beach and an amazing long weekend trip to New York.

image

We feel very blessed to be able to travel and to make those long-lasting family memories that we will carry with us forever, such as our night at “Phantom of the Opera.”

Along the way, we made some interesting sidetrips, too…to Atlanta, to Chattanooga and to…

1. U2 in Nashville/We met Bono - We’re not so big on the 'meeting a celebrity thing.’ But, this story is too amazing to ignore. It had to make the Top 10. And when we were discussing the various possibilities for #1 at dinner last night, this was the UNANIMOUS choice.

Let me set the stage for you.

July 2nd in Nashville was incredibly hot. OK, so it’s ALWAYS hot in the South in July. But if possible, it seemed even hotter that day as we parked our car and began to make our way to Vanderbilt Stadium.

We needed to grab a bite to eat before the show and we were looking at various possibilities. And outside of “Which Wich,” there was a small crowd gathering around a man wearing a black shirt, an olive hat and camo pants. Upon closer examination, we saw that Bono had decided to explore the surroundings and to meet some of his fans.

Who better for him to meet than Holly Gary and Paul Gary (and some lady who we don’t know)?

image

It was an amazing few minutes as we snapped a few photos, he greeted the fans, and he asked them all put up their peace signs. “We need more Peace in the World,” he told the crowd.

And with that, he was off to perform an amazing concert. And we were all left with some amazing stories to tell.

AND our #1 Gary Family Story for 2011!

JG

Originally posted 12/30/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...