Earlier, I gave a ‘shout out’ to all those folks in luvvvvv who are celebrating Valentine’s Day. This message is for the other folks…people who could be termed members of the lonely hearts club.
Consider this blog to be equal time.
I know there are lots of folks out there who aren’t happy on this Valentine’s Day. Plenty of people fall in that category. For the lonely, this can be an especially difficult day. No flowers. No hearts. No Valentine cards.
This is a day when those folks want to wear black instead of pink or red.
It didn’t start out that way. Early on, EVERYbody got good stuff - candy and cards - on this day. Then, as you got a litte older, it became more complicated. In elementary school, everyone decorated shoe boxes so they could collect cards from all their classmates.
In those days, it seemed like there was always one person who had a smaller collection in his/her box. Maybe it was the awkwardly shy person. Or that kid who just smelled funny (maybe it was because they didn’t know the meaning of B-A-T-H). Anyways, someone always got gypped.
A day that was meant to be a day of joy quickly turned out to be another moment of childhood angst.
Then, kids progressed to high school, where the stakes were even higher. It seems like everyone knew if you DIDN’T have a date to the Valentine’s Day dance. In high school, the reality of NOT having a Valentine was even more public and a little more cruel.
Trust me, I remember. I had one particularly bad year.
At the end of my senior year in high school, and extending into the summer and fall after I graduated, I had numerous romantic possibilities. But by the end of that year, I was out of luck and on my own. Tapped out. Little black book = empty.
Valentine’s Day, during my freshman year of college, was merely the height of the ‘bleak mid-winter.’
These days, I love this day (naturally) and when I was on the internet this morning, I went to one of my favorite news sites. There, I encountered a poll about February 14th. Do you: Love it, Hate it or Tolerate it.
Sad to say, my response in the “Love it” category was only 14%. Many folks just don’t like this day at all. I guess there are myriad reasons why.
One person I know confided in me recently that she has entered that interesting conundrum in which one person is interested in another who isn’t. She likes a guy but he says he is too busy for a relationship at this time. Meanwhile, another guy has expressed an interest her but she isn’t the least bit interested in him.
You just wish Cupid could match up everyone interested with someone equally interested but it’s not that easy. Love doesn’t follow logic.
That ‘unequal’ love triangle she mentioned is familiar. Isn’t it the basis for the opening lines of that old J. Geils Band song, “Love Stinks?”
“He loves her but she loves him. He loves somebody else. You just can’t win.”
On this day, that may well be the anthem for the lonely hearted. This can be a “Love Stinks” kind of day.
Another person I know is having a disagreement with a close friend. He/she also needs a Valentine ‘shout out’ today. So this blog post is dedicated to that person, the “Love Stinks” person and to anyone else who isn’t having a good February 14.
Take heart, folks. February 15 is a few hours away.
JG
(Source: youtube.com)
Originally posted 2/14/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment