Thursday, July 22, 2021

Colonel Potter was a classic character

Sad news today: Harry Morgan, the actor most frequently associated with his character of Sherman T. Potter from “M*A*S*H” passed away at the age of 96.

I have seen some posts this evening talking about Bill Gannon, his character from Dragnet. That was a memorable role, no doubt. But for my money, Col. Potter was the classic character.

After Season 3 of its 11 year run, “M*A*S*H” underwent a major cast shuffle resulting with Col. Potter becoming the Commanding Officer at the 4077 following Col. Henry Blake’s sudden exit from the show (and subsequent death on his trip home, according to the plot). At the same time, Trapper John’s character left the show, too, and B.J. Hunnicut arrived.

Many shows wouldn’t be able to survive such a drastic series of cast changes. But “M*A*S*H” did and I think a major reason for that was the arrival of Col. Potter. His wit and wisdom provided wonderful leadership for the wacky cast of characters on the show.

By far, he is my favorite character.  He is Lisa’s favorite character, too.

I especially love the episode titled “Old Soldiers,” from Season 8. If you have a chance to see it, check it out. It’s a great showcase episode for the Colonel.

A tip of the cap to the Colonel tonight and the actor who played the part so well. R.I.P. Harry Morgan and thanks to you for a job well done!

JG

(Source: The New York Times)

Orignally posted 12/7/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...