Thursday, July 29, 2021

Back in Black

Years ago, we tried the Black Friday thing. We got up early and braved the crowds at a very early hour.

7 a.m.

A decade or so ago, that was the time of the morning we hurtled ourselves into the crowds to gain the bonus deal or special gadget of that particular year. Then, a funny thing happened. We noticed we were running late. Start time had been reset.

6 a.m. And then 5 a.m.

At a certain point, we threw up our hands and said “Forget it.” Somewhere along the way, we started doing more online shopping so it just didn’t make much sense to go out. I mean, when the practice becomes more of a brag point than an actual pursuit of some key item or great deal, it really does seem pointless.

I’m proud that we had exited the throng many years ago because I think that makes me a little more objective as I write this blog.

We’ve all heard about the controversy surrounding Wal Mart workers and Target staffers who protest the fact those retailers will begin their Black Friday sales on Thursday night. Who can blame them? While most of us want to be at home celebrating the day with our families, these poor souls will have to drag themselves out on Thanksgiving night to go to work.

The question I have is…why?

All over Facebook and in conversation with friends and family, I don’t know anyone who:
A. Plans to attend one of these Black Thursday Night sales, or
B. Thinks it is a good idea

So, that leaves me with this basic question. Who goes to these sales?  And more importantly, if no one participated in Black Thursday Night shopping, wouldn’t the retailers abandon the practice? Naturally, there must be scads of shoppers who drive the practice. Clearly, the likes of Wal Mart and Target aren’t willing to endure the public shame and potential negativity of protests if it isn’t profitable to open up mid-evening on the 22nd rather than waiting until 5 a.m. on the 23rd.

I felt like these two stores must tops on a small list and then I went thru the drive-thru the other morning at Chick-Fil-A. Chick-Fil-A, of all places, is touting its Black Thursday Night hours (technically Black Friday, I guess, since they are opening at Midnight). This is the same Chick-Fil-A that earns respect by keeping its doors closed for business on Sundays. But, if you’re hankering for Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich at midnight on Friday the 23rd, they’ll hook you up.

It’s insane.

I know where I’ll be at midnight early Friday morning and I can assure you it won’t be in a line waiting for waffle fries. I plan to be in zzz-land. And if I am not already asleep, I hope to be winding down, relaxing with my family and getting ready for bed.

Shopping can wait.

I wish others would follow my lead. Alas, in the words of the cliché makers, I’m afraid the toothpaste is already out of the tube.

JG

(Source: knoxnews.com)

Originally posted 11/22/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...