Thursday, September 10, 2026

Works Like a Top

Throughout my PR career, I have been in contact with a number of hard-working vendors. Generally, they provide support services and, sometimes, staff augmentation.

Early in my career,  a very chipper chap provided those services and more for our department.

When things went well, he'd grin and say "Works like a top."

I think the phrase he MEANT to say was "Runs like a top." But, nonetheless, works like a top, it was in our regular interactions. 

Sometimes, I'd stop and break that down. What did it really mean? A top spins, right?  Does it 'work?' Dunno.


I don't think any of us were truly spinning. Likewise, none of our projects spun. It can be said, a busy person might have "lots of plates spinning" but that's a different metaphor all together. 

Works like a top doesn't really work like a catchphrase. But, his heart was surely in the right place. So, let's go with it.

Recaling that fellow's catchphrase started me thinking of others I have encountered throughout the years. I started brainstorming, as I often do, and came up with the following list:

Now, we're cooking with gas - 
What does that tell me? At various places I've lived, I've occasionally had a gas stove. We use gas anytime we grilled. Have done so for 40 years. Not sure it conveys "groundbreaking."

Fly By Night -
When folks use this, it suggests something of poor quality. But, jetliners fly every night. If you were to check Flightaware, you'd see thousands on your screen this evening.

Rub Some Dirt on it - 
This phrase came up over and over during my youth baseball coaching years. It was supposed to reduce someone's pain and suffering. I'm not sure it would.  Some magical mineral in the mud?

Give me your John Hancock -
Another guy we worked with would always say, "I just need you to give me your John Hancock." OK, I get that. Big signature and all. But then once, he misspoke and said "Give me your John Henry."  I'm not sue you could cash that anywhere. Wasn't he an American folk hero, anyway? 

Just Desserts -
If someone get's their "just desserts," one is hoping the other person will suffer consequences for their poor actions. But, myself, I've always enjoyed dessert. I can't imagine it being a bad thing. Maybe a pie in the face?

Some others that made my short list

  • By a Whisker
  • Tugging at your Heart Strings
  • Blow it off
  • Working up a lather
  • Sweating Bullets

My guy might've been sweating bullets if a project didn't work like a top. He never blew it off. Sometimes, he delivered but just by a whisker. 

JG

Editor's Note - Tomorrow, I will post a special Friday edition of #CoachJeff to mark 25 years since 9/11. Be sure to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plug and Play

As ham radio operators go I am not very technically savvy. In fact, I'd say, if super duper hams are 10.0 on the sliding scale of techni...