I'm sure that soothing sound I heard during my walk yesterday morning was a collective "ahhhh" from the citizens of East Tennessee. Just a couple days after the calendar told us it was officially the first day of fall, the feels in the air started to match.
Oh, we're not quite there yet. But after all the rain this week, there are signs everywhere
- Later sunrises
- A bit of color on the edges of the leaves
- Spectacular sunsets
Indeed, it is now officially fall in East Tennessee and with high temperatures in the 70s, we can actually start to believe it.
Years ago, September was September. Officially the kickoff of Meteorological Fall, it felt like it.
I remember one year, some buddies and I made a late trip to the beach over Labor Day Weekend. At the beach, it was still summer. But after driving through the night and making it safely back home, I woke up the next morning and it was autumn.
Likewise, covering high school football games as a young journalist, you could definitely feel a nip in the air late in the game or, especially after the game, waiting around for a quick interview with the coach.
But somewhere along the way, in East Tennessee, our traditional Septembers went away. They were replaced by this odd season I refer to as Second August.
Kids are back in school. Days are shorter. Air is still as humid. No chill in the air.
After surviving the true dog days of summer, we are treated to an encore performance. Thing is...August earns its stripes. You know what you're getting and you get what you expect. Sometimes it is actually better than expected; other times worse.
But with Second August, there is no payoff. It's just unexpectedly hot.
And all those pumpkin spice lovers hold their lattes waiting for the temps to break. Sweater weather deferred.
Alas, it seems like the moment is finally here. After some rainy days in East Tennessee, it's almost like the precip washed away the last vestiges of the summer season. This morning, when I opened the front door, I was greeted by the chill in the air we've all been anticipating. To be sure, there will be warm days ahead but the change of seasons is officially underway.
So, go ahead. Pull out the box of sweaters. Order a double latte with extra pumpkin, the season has finally arrived in East Tennessee.
And all God's children said...amen.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment