In our home county, this morning, teachers and administrators will say "welcome back" to all their students.
Today is the first day of school. Or, in #CoachJeff's speak, "Opening Day."
It's the first time in many years when my family didn't have a pupil in the school system. So, in that way, it's a bit of a different welcome back.
This time of year, I often remember first days of school. For instance, I can still remember that first first day at Denver Elementary School in Memphis. Everything was exciting and fresh and new. My aunt knitted a personalized book bag just for me.
I loved the fact we had "milk break." It was a mid-morning time for rest and refreshment. Everyone should have milk break. Let's see if we can get that going again! Milk break for the W!
Later, when my family moved to East Tennessee, that created another new beginning.
I know one of my former elementary school teachers is a fan of the blog. So, if she is reading along (I won't call her out because I won't embarrass her, but she knows I'm thinking of her), a shout out to her for making those first days of school so special.
I remember going to high school for the first time. We topped the big hill and there was the brand new Farragut High School sprawling and glistening in the morning sun. What a special place to spend high school.
And, many years later, what a special place for my kids to enjoy their high school years. Those were "first days" of a different sort.
We often say that education is the family business among my wife's kin. Her father was a teacher. So was her aunt. Her brother in law and sister were also educators. So, here's a shout out to all of them (especially as her sister begins another year of making a difference in the lives of young ones).
My hope–indeed my prayer–is for a fantastic "Opening Day" and a wonderful school year to come. May it be rewarding for administrators, faculty and staff. May it be filled with opportunities for exploration and sparks of curiosity for young learners. For this school year, may it be filled with joy and excitement.
And safety for all.
Welcome Back!
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment