Thursday, August 20, 2026

Rocky and the Red Pepper Paste

Filed under the category of things you never thought you'd hear yourself say:

"Stop eating my house!"

Thus, the battle is joined.

One Rockefeller Emerson Squirrel (aka Rocky) needs to take his dietary wishes to the woods. 

I fully understand small rodents need to gnaw on things to grind down their teeth. Wood is a perfect choice. But, it's a little hard to validate the bias toward a flat board of cedar siding. It is especially perplexing when our house is ringed by a wooded area.

I haven't counted recently, but I would say there are at least 1,000 trees of various shapes and sizes within a short hop and a jump for Rocky. And wouldn't a round branch fit more nicely in one's mouth? I would think it would be easier (and tastier for gnawing). But it sure doesn't seem to be the case - at least with our local critter.

And when Rocky begins gnawing, my tabby twins are instantly fascinated and run to the window. But, alas, they can't do anything to prevent him from taking another free trip to the board buffet.

I've tried going outside and shaking my fist. Squirrel runs off and then looks back at me with a taunting "Oh yeah, whaddya gonna do about it?"

Until last weekend, we were flummoxed.  And my answer would have been an agitated shrug. Then, a quick internet search turned up a great, low-cost (and safe) solution. Hot pepper. 

Apparently, as much as squirrels might love my cedar, they do not appreciate a dash of hot sauce. on top

Thus: over the weekend, I prepared a red-pepper paste. I coated the edges of the boards. So, Rocky? Meet Mr. Red Pepper. It might irritate their palate but it doesn't harm them otherwise. 

A win-win.


On Tuesday, I heard a quick bit of gnawing but it stopped abruptly (and without my encouragement). After another visit, I applied another round of paste.

And now, a day later, there hasn't been another squirrel sighting. 

I'm not ready to declare ultimate victory yet. After all the rain, I might need to prepare and apply yet another coat.

Update: Just after I hit the "publish" button, I found that he has moved to another part of the house and set up gnawing operations. It just may be time to bring in the professionals. More to come.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Football Time

At dinner last Saturday night, the big screen tv featured an NFL preseason game. The local news broadcast updated fans about Tennessee Vols...