I will fully admit this shortcoming: like many Americans, I just don't get futbol (ahem, soccer).
Not that I haven't tried, mind you. I have watched it. Tried to play it (broke my nose in the process). Even coached it during one long fall season.
Fun fact: leading that team, count 'em, were three #CoachJeffs! (I was third in command, as I should've been, with my basic lack of knowledge). My job was general oversight and making sure no one got hurt.
Check and check.
Once (true story), a player called out: "Coach Jeff?" and all three of us turned around and answered "What?"
Still, despite my earlier deficiencies, I am intrigued by the game. When the entire world experiences the magnitude of The World Cup, I think we all become soccer fans. And maybe the big world gets just a little smaller.
Last Saturday night, for instance, we were at a downtown location to eat dinner while the match between Brazil and Morocco was ongoing and featured on several big screen televisions. The two teams played to a 1-all draw.
There were fans all over the venue, dressed in the colors and uniforms of their chosen team. Holly and I watched--we people-watched as much as we watched the match--while Lisa finished her meal. Those fans were really into it. And maybe it was fitting that no one went home unhappy.
We were traveling abroad when the FIFA World Cup was staged in 2018 and, earlier, we were north of the border for vacation, while the matches were being played in 2010. Everywhere we went, we saw fans singing, chanting, cheering and watching.
It was a big deal. Every car in Toronto, it seemed, sported a fan flag as did many homes.
In 2018. I remember watching the final match as France beat Croatia 4-2 to capture the title. We were at a layover in Pearson Airport in Toronto (YYZ). That gave our viewing a bit of an international flair.
But nothing tops being there in person.
In 1994, a grad school buddy talked me into being his wingman as he drove to Detroit for one of the World Cup matches. The U.S. took on Switzerland that day. Fittingly, today is the 32nd anniversary of our adventure. And the two the teams--much like those in the aforementioned battle outlined in paragraph six--played to a 1-all draw.
You can see by my ticket that a decent seat was much more affordable in the 1990s.
And here I am (my raiment repping the University of Tennessee Vols rather than Team USA) among a sea of the stars and stripes before the match.
The game was played indoors at the old Pontiac Silverdome. So, at first, you may be thinking "Oh, good. At least you got to be indoors." Well, technically true. But, a sauna is also indoors.
As it turns out, the Silverdome had no air conditioning. So, you can imagine what a 90 degree day outside feels like inside. Well, maybe just slightly less than 90 degrees!
Another curiosity I remember from that day. As I noted in the lede, many Americans still don't get soccer. And in fact, they did much less so 32 years ago.
While the Swiss fans sang, whistled and chanted throughout the match–and activated many noise makers (whistles, cow bells, vuvuzelas)–the American fans sat politely and cheered like one might do at a show. It was a party for one fanbase and a scholarly debate for the others.
I got the feeling one group enjoyed themselves more than the others.
But, hey, if our nation's discovery of the joy of futbol is a journey, that was several steps ago. And, you might say an important one.
I feel sure many youth soccer programs took off in popularity after the U.S. hosted the 1994 World Cup. And, FIFA must've thought we did a decent job since we are hosting the lion's share of the North American matches in this year's event.
I predict North America will do a good job.
So, then, fast forward a few more years and you just might see Americans take a deeper plunge into the sport. You might even find a different trio of passionate #CoachJeffs teaching an ever-growing sport.
They'd surely be more well-suited than a former youth baseball coach.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment