Tuesday, June 23, 2026

Special Event Station: World Soccer Tournament

Last week on #CoachJeff's blog, I wrote about the World Soccer Tournament and amateur radio special event stations.

Today, I am going to merge the topics.

In celebration of North America hosting the 2026 World Soccer Tournament, the ham radio community has come together to mark the milestone. There are 17 North American cities hosting World Cup matches. During the duration of the competition, special event stations (SES) from each of the host sites are broadcasting.

Just as I described the America 250 SES last week, this is a similar virtual scavenger hunt. 

And I am happy to report that I have "worked" all 17 of the World Soccer Tournament SES. A bonus 18th station will come online July 4 and I will hope to add it to the basket.

As I understand it, stations broadcast on days their respective city is hosting a match. 

Each of the sites will have unique QSL cards as a keepsake. I hope to collect a few of these as well. I did a screenshot to give you a taste of how the cards will look.


When I was active in ham radio in the late 1970s and through the 80s, I don't remember us having events such as this. Maybe there were some similar virtual events but publicity wasn't as easy in the pre-internet age. Thus, it is possible I missed out.

I do know the ARRL Field Day event dates to 1933 and I did that one every year. The 2026 Field Day event is this weekend. I will definitely participate.

Other than Field Day, I just don't remember any big "radiosport" events from my early days. So,  I think the proliferation of these exercises is a really good thing. Anything to spark enthusiasm and get folks on the air is a good thing in my book. 

So it will be this weekend and so it will be through mid July when the soccer world crowns its champion. 

JG


No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...