The three year period for my Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) expires at the end of next month.
Since I applied for re-accreditation last time–during the summer of '23–I've been collecting CEUs toward next time.
To recap, I studied for and passed my original APR exam in 2014 and I wrote about the process during the first iteration of the blog. Clearly, it is an achievement of which I am very proud. I've been a member of Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) for a bit longer.
For the record, the Universal Accreditation Board says this of the credential:
"With so thorough a process, the APR credential is both a professional and personal achievement—a revelation of drive, capabilities, and dedication. Receiving this recognition demonstrates your proficiency and alignment with the cutting-edge PR practices and knowledge that will take you to the next level in your career."
Earlier this week, I sat down to review my CEUs from the past three years and to enter them into the online portal.
Before I wrapped up the duties of my former job, I put together a spreadsheet listing all the activities that would count toward my re-accreditation including ethics, public service and training. Because of the nature of my job as a division director working for a government contractor serving a large organization, I was required to complete a number of training modules.
Some were related to the nature of the company. Some were driven by my position as a manager of a large organization. In any case, it was a long list.
Life-long learning, after all, is a good thing.
I commiserated with my former administrative assistant (who coordinates training for the organization).
The exercise was somewhat nostalgic (if one can be nostalgic about training modules). But more than anything, it reminded me that I retired from a position with some substance. It was the pinnacle of a 40 year career.
Filing the paperwork next month to renew my accreditation for the next three year period will affirm my commitment to the industry. And it affirms that I am open to possibilities for what comes next in the career path.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment