Last week, I told you about the popular electronic system ham radio operators use to confirm contacts with other stations.
I also hinted at the old school method we refer to as QSL cards. In the days before the electronic confirmation, that was the way hams documented the contact. In the listing of ham radio Q signals, QSL means "I confirm reception."
It has always been said that sending a QSL card was the final courtesy of a contact.
What's the modern saying about taking selfies to document an event happened? Take a picture or it didn't happen. QSLing is built on the same principle.
If you are working toward some sort of an award, you need proof of each contact. One of the popular awards, for instance, is called "Worked All States." In other words, you talked to a station in each of the 50 states. An electronic confirmation--or paper card--is necessary to document the transaction. In 2021 and 2022, my station (K4KYN) earned a few of these awards.
Most cards contain a pre-printed grid where you can fill in including date, time, mode, frequency, signal strength and any other relevant details of the contact. Most hams will also write a short note to thank the other operator for the contact.
Back in the day, it was a real treat to receive a card in the mail. You can imagine teenage #CoachJeff walking down the driveway to the mailbox, opening it up and finding a card inside. It was so exciting! I still have those cards all these years later.
Some of my 1970s QSLs came from overseas. Those were really rare.
And when I started back in the hobby in 2021, I bought a few postcard albums so I could file the new incoming cards. I have collected cards from all 50 states and around the world. I have a few of them displayed in my radio room as well.
My own card pays homage to my history in the hobby and, also, to my dad's.
During my time back on the air, I've noticed there is no right or wrong way to design a card. Many of them are produced by small print shoppes throughout the world. Some are constructed from pre-fab templates and others are custom-designed. And some operators do their own and print the piece at home.
As I mentioned previously, some operators are reluctant to exchange cards for a number of reasons. Others state a policy up front that they do not exchange cards at all. But most still do. And, I still get quite a bit of satisfaction--maybe not quite the childhood exuberance--when a QSL comes in the mail.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment