One of the touch points during the first week of the 2026 MLB season has been the new Automated Ball-Strike Challenge System (ABS).
Using the system, players can challenge a ball-strike call immediately after the pitch occurs. Decisions are rendered within a matter of seconds so it doesn't slow the game down. ESPN published a comprehensive overview of the system right before the season started.
There were two challenges during the A's-Braves game yesterday. The challenges were displayed on the big screen for fans. Both were resolved quickly and without incident.
A friend asked me my opinion of the system. On one hand, I can imagine it is tough for umpires to have their work critiqued and displayed for everyone to see. But, more importantly, I think it is important the game enforce the strike zone codified in its rules.
For years, we have heard about specific home plate umpires who have their interpretation of the rules. Some would call pitches strikes that were below the published zone. Others would give a couple inches off one or the other side of the plate. And on a bad day, their "interpretations" could be inconsistent.
This clears all that up.
During my days in youth baseball, I was occasionally pressed into service when one of our umpires couldn't make it to a game. I told everyone I wanted the kids swinging their bats, so I had a wide strike zone.
Back on the bench as coach, I admired the work of the umpires who called games at Farragut Baseball, Inc. They weren't paid a lot of money. They did what they did because they loved the game. And they worked hard.
Imagine working a slate of Saturday games that might go from 9-5. Sun bearing down. No shade. No seat. It's hard work.
I'm sure as umpires work their way up through the system–from high school to college to minor leagues to the majors–the pay increases. But it is still a tough job. And most of the umpires want to do the right thing.
Over time, they will adjust because of ABS as will players and team officials. And in the meantime, it gives fans another element to discuss as the game's popularity continues to grow.
From my seat, it's all good.
jg
No comments:
Post a Comment