When you tune in to “Sports Talk” on the afternoon drive broadcast for WNML, 99.1 FM (The Sports Animal), one of the local advertisers tells you each day how many days are left until it is “Football Time in Tennessee.”
I believe today’s broadcast said there are 18 days to go.
We’re getting excited about the coming of football season and then, today, I received news via my Facebook feed that, in Tennessee, “We’re Number One.” Everyone wants to be #1, right? Unfortunately, folks, this poll was not about college football.
According to CNBC, Tennessee ranks as the number one state in the ranking of “America’s 10 Worst States to Live in.” I felt the soul-crushing blow immediately after I scrolled through the 10 sliders and made it to number one.
Usually, I shrug my shoulders when I see these sorts of surveys. My reaction is “Says Who?” Some northeastern elite?
This ‘Top 10’ has the same feckless impact of those online questionnaires you see on Facebook all the time: What kind of bird are you? (I’m a mockingbird). What Disney princess would you be? (Excuse me?) What country are you? (Last time I checked, it was USA, USA, USA).
Or then there was the blog post with fun facts about our state.
Oh, and this one from the other day (testing my knowledge of Tennessee) categorized me as a ‘tourist’ based on my lack of sagacity. I guess my visit to the state has lasted some 50 years now…
Still, if I were a tourist and visiting the state of Tennessee, this poll certainly paints a grim picture of the Volunteer State. I was immediately dubious when I read the description of Tennessee without any real data and lacking any sort of citation.
OK, I get the first stat. “Violent crime is the worst in the country,” according to FBI statistics in 2012. That is a measurable stat. Credible source. Quanitifiable. But what about the others?
“Roughly a quarter of Tennessee adults are smokers.” Says who? American Cancer Society? American Lung Association? R.J. Reynolds? I’d feel more compelled if there were something to back up this statement. Numbers – like say “22.5 percent” – or a even source for the data.
“Fewer than half of Tennesseans excise ‘frequently.’” Define ‘frequently.’ And again, give me someone to back this up. “High rates of diabetes.” What is meant by ‘high’ and who told you this? The guy down at the bakery counter at your local supermarket?
Also, I’d love to see some fair and balanced numbers about our state. EQUAL TIME, if you will.
For example, how about the distinctive four seasons we have? And the numerous outdoor amenitites: from state parks and national parks to all the rivers, lakes and hiking trails.
The cost of living is great; housing prices very affordable.
Or if you are interested in culture and the arts, downtown Nashville is pretty darn edgy and the riverfront in Chattanooga is cool. And here in Knoxville, there is a festival or event almost every weekend it seems. Looking to follow professional sports? Nashville has the Titans and Predators. Memphis has the NBA Grizzlies.

We’re a one-day drive away from two-thirds of the country – almost any beach, east coast city and countless other landmarks are easily accessible.
And on and on and on.
This article – like so many others you see – is stuck on the negative southern bias that is pervasive in the media and movies. Not surprisingly, five of the 10 states listed in the countdown are ones that touch Tennessee. All of the states listed are either Southern or Midwestern. "Flyover country.“ None are along the East Coast or West Coast.
Shocker.
Worst state to live in? Tennessee? No. Hardly. I’ve been here 50+ years and I’m not going anywhere.
JG
Originally posted 8/13/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment