Thursday, February 16, 2023

Thoughts of the Week

From time to time, I jot down a few musings; things I’ve been thinking. Once I get three or four of them, I put them down on paper; share them with you.

Here are some of my recent thoughts of the week:

Mowing Season
Why is it that, all of a sudden, you go from having brown dormant grass to a DEFCON 5 situation almost over night? Anyone have a bush hog? (And as a secondary note, why is it that it’s just then – when you have a dry, warm day and a need to mow - that you discover the mower won’t start).

A third, related, thought: where did all these weeds come from over the winter? Weren’t our lawns just covered with snow and ice a few weeks ago? 

One final thought on this topic: we need more small engine repair shops around.  Maybe there just isn’t as much of a need.

Fortunately, we found one but we had to drive a distance – and pass through a few roundabouts - to drop off the mower. It’s not like there is one on every corner like banks and quickie marts.

In the meantime, please forgive us for the mess in our lawn until we pick up the serviced mower early next week. 

Bracketology
Has March Madness become more about the brackets than the basketball?

I hear far more people talking about how their bracket is busted rather than breaking down tonight’s Wisconsin-North Carolina?

I guess it isn’t a bad thing. First, the notion of a contest featuring bracket choices makes the game more accessible. On the other hand, when your two favorite teams didn’t make it to The Big Dance, it’s hard to get very excited either way.

image

On Mergers…
What’s this that I hear about Heinz and Kraft merging? Ketchup on your mac-n-cheese, anyone?

Drive Thrus
Why is it that, anytime you go to a drive-thru, you have to wade through a sales pitch? Is it just me or is this becoming more and more the norm?

If I want a regular burger, I’m not impressed when someone offers me the “Super Duper Extra Large, Comes With Bacon and Jalapenos and Chocolate Sauce on Top” version. “No, I’m not interested in that. I’ll have the #1 Combo, please.”

Makes you wonder if the marketers behind those messages think:

  • A. You just wander through the line, aimlessly, with no idea of why you came. The sales pitch jars you back to reality. “Oh yes, I’m hungry. And thanks for that wonderful suggestion. I had NO idea what I wanted or why I’m here!”
  • B.  Or the other extreme. Those carefully crafted words are going to move you to change your conviction. “I was after a plain grilled chicken sandwich but you have changed my life! I now want the Super Cocoa Burger!”

Then again, just give me the #1 Combo (with an unsweet tea).

JG

Originally posted 3/26/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...