Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Dean

I would be remiss if I didn’t add a couple paragraphs to today’s discussion about Old Friends to mention the passing of Dr. Dwight Teeter, on Friday, at the age of 80.

Teeter touched the lives of countless students as a journalism professor, author and Dean of the College of Communication and Information at the University of Tennessee. He was serving in that role when I first encountered Dwight. I always wanted to call him Dean but he’d correct me and insist I call him Dwight.

He wasn’t a man to stand on ceremony. Informal and fun, a great man; a class act.

I will always remember one night in particular. We started the fall semester with a banquet. I was a graduate assistant that semester, so I was invited to the proceedings. Soon, the news spread among the sports-minded that there was a batting cage in an adjacent facility. So, after the soiree, a bunch of us hit the cages to take some cuts; nevermind that we were all wearing suits and dress shoes.

It was great fun.

I was fortunate that I was educated and mentored by ‘the A team’ during my grad years at UTK and Dwight was at the top of the list. 

JG

Originally posted 3/2/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...