Thursday, February 9, 2023

Test Prep

It has been many years since I was last in a classroom, as a student, and even more time since I took my last exam. But tomorrow, I will be back in the hot seat. 

After months of classes, study and test preparations, I will be sitting for the written, computer-based exam, for PRSA’s Accreditation in Public Relations (APR). Some months ago, I wrote about how I was gearing up to pursue this goal. Now, it’s crunch time.

For years, I have had the goal of pursuing the APR but life always got in the way. Previously, the best time for me to have made this effort was when I was at Roane State. Those were the baseball coaching years too, however, and most of my disposable time was focused on teaching youngsters how to play the glorious game.

So, you know how it goes. Things get put to the back burner.

When I was scripting out my New Year’s resolutions for 2014, I put this one top on my list: Pursue the APR.

In late winter, a class of fellow PR practitioners began meeting – usually every two weeks – to study the various competencies featured on the exam. Those sessions lasted until about the time our family took our European vacation. Coming back after the vacay, I continued by studies.

Then, in late July, I presented my portfolio for my Readiness Review panel. Three APRs met with me, discussed the portfolio, asked me some questions and assessed my readiness to take the written examination.

After my panel meeting, I devoted laser-like focus to studying the material for one last month. I even quizzed myself on material I had learned.  And on board the plane to and from Arizona, when we helped Holly go to grad school, I re-read the quintessential textbook Cutlip and Center’s Effective Public Relations by Glen M. Broom. It’s the go to for public relations students, teachers and professionals alike!

image

Then, I was happy to learn, in early August, that I had passed the Readiness Review and was now gated for the exam. I looked at my calendar, picked a good day and scheduled the time.

And, tomorrow it is.

Just past noon, I’ll sit in the hot seat. Months of study and preparation will come to bear. And if I am successful in passing the exam, I will be able to add this professional designation to my credentials. 

JG

Originally posted 9/4/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...