Thursday, February 9, 2023

Successful Opening

I got a text from Paul last night telling me that Opening Night of the MTSU production, “American Tall Tales” went very well.

Oh, and he also told me his girlfriend says ‘Hi!’

I’m glad to hear the about the successful opening. Lisa and I are looking forward to seeing the show this weekend.

I can only imagine how much energy and enthusiasm was flowing through the Tucker Theatre as the young thespians prepared for the show. ‘Tech Week,’ as I saw from my brief experience as a theater parent at FHS, was both exhausting and exhilarating. Personally, I have never experienced this thrill.

The cast and crew of Tall Tales just completed Tech Week, of course, leading up to Opening Night.

I should ask Paul sometime – we’ve never discussed it – about the rush of Opening Night.  Sad to say, because of distance, we never saw the first show of any of the MTSU presentations in which he has performed except for the GSTA production of “Urinetown.” We’re thankful the folks at MTSU shot some wonderful photos, like this one (photo credit - MTSU).

 image

When he performed at FHS, it was always a tight-knit – but loyal – crowd for the first show. Another way of putting it might be to say friends and family! 

It has been nice to see how the theater students from his graduating class at Farragut, and the ones just after it, have stayed in touch during their early years in college. I think they support each other quite a bit. And I think it is amazing what a strong contingent of FHSers have gone to school at MTSU (aka “Farragut West”).

Speaking of friends, during my years at FHS as a student, some of my friends were in the theater program. There was a bit of overlap from us newspaper guys and the actors and actresses. Like any loyal supporters, I attended a number of FHS shows during my years as a student. In particular, I remember seeing “Godspell” and “Oklahoma!”

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t a performer. I always marveled at the skill and talent (as well as the courage) of my young colleagues on the FHS stage back then and, as a parent, this admiration grew tenfold.

I never predicted that I would be a “theater parent.” But, I’m glad Paul has graciously taken us along for the ride. His mother and I sure are proud of him.

And like all proud parents, we are looking forward to returning to the theater this weekend.

JG

Originally posted 9/25/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...