I’ve got a lot of things to keep track of these days. It’s a busy time in our lives.
I’m sure you can relate. Seems like we’re all managing a lengthy to do list these days.
The other day, I went online in search of memory-boosting strategy to help me manage our busy lifestyle these days. With full plates at work, busy twentysomethings away at their respective universities and various other family obligations, our lives are full of logistics these days.
I didn’t want to have to resort to tying a string around my finger to keep track of it all.

I went online in search of a list of techniques to allow one to convert short-term memory (or working memory) to long-term memory.
There were a number of things I saw and discarded. I know that working puzzles is a good idea for memory development. I love doing circle-a-words. Also, I make lists and memorize them all the time. This is both productive and entertaining to me.
Still, this wasn’t quite it. So, I dug a bit deeper and I ran across three noteworthy techniques that I want to mention here.
Mnemoic Devices
This is a gimme but it also merits mentioning.
The idea behind using a mnemonic device in memorization is to create your own acronym (or word) out of the letters of the words you need to memorize.
I was very successful in using this memorization trick to help me study lists I needed to remember for the PRSA APR exam I passed back at the end of summer. I used it to memorize the list of our core competencies, for example, and also the various historical periods in the development of our vocation.
Here are some other examples that I have used over the years:
Dr. and Mrs. & Mrs. Vandertramp
In the French language, there is a list of verbs that use être (to be) rather than avoir (to have) to conjugate in the past tense (passe’ compose). French students often remember this verb list using the acronym Dr. & Mrs. Vandertramp.
I learned these verbs this way back in high school thanks to my French teacher, Mlle Burleson. I can’t say I remember ALL the verbs on the list to this day but I sure do remember the letter that starts each one!
Every Good Boy Does Fine
I didn’t do very well during my two years of piano lessons. I could learn the notes and play them but I never really felt myself making the music.
What I was able to do, however, was to memorize the treble clef. Not that I could do anything with it now…but I still remember Every Good Boy Does Fine.
ASDFJKL;
I can still remember the staccato voice our typing teacher, Mrs. Kirkland, used to teach us the home row keys on the typewriter. A S D F J K L ; repeat A S D F J K L ;
Still remember that to this day and the way in which she taught it to us.
I guess these four examples prove that mnemonic devices really work.
Chunking
This is a great suggestion for learning numbers or spellings. Rather than spelling out the whole thing (such as Vandertramp, as I mentioned above) you can do it in short bursts Van der tramp (much easier to remember that way).
I remember when Paul was a little shaver, he had a friend with a long first name. That was exactly how he memorized the spelling of his name and, when asked by Lisa, how do you spell your name, he did it by listing the chunks. Van der tramp.
Phone numbers work great this way, too. Jam Jam 1 is the time and temperature number in Memphis (I remember that one from way back). We have a similar number here 865 521 6300.
Other key numbers such as your social, your password, your driver license # all can be easily mastered by doing it in chunks.
I like the idea.
8 Second Rule
This suggestion is the one I found that pertains to my recent goal.
Memorization experts say it takes 8 seconds to convert a short-term memory thought to a long-term action. So, for example, in my Begich-Sullivan example from above, if I had remembered that action for 8 seconds, it wouldn’t have slipped my mind.
So, I’ve been trying it out.
Think about it for 8 seconds 8 seconds 8 seconds. And then, commit the action to memory.
So far, so good.
Now…what was I saying?
JG
Originally posted 11/6/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment