Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Sams V. Costco (Revisited)

You might recall that, some time ago, I posed the rhetorical warehouse shopping questions: Sam’s or Costco?

Coach Jeff readers responded in kind and were mostly split on the issue. The familiarity of Sam’s vs. the new opportunity with Costco? The convenience of Costco vs. the cost of Sam’s? 

Like I said. Split.

Well, late last year, our Sam’s Membership expired about the same time Lisa got a great offer to join Costco via one of those discount deals you see (think Deal Chicken, only it wasn’t through that vendor). There were extra goodies involved and the membership fee was reduced. So, it made sense to give it a try.

Last weekend, we made our first visit to Costco. We redeemed our new membership and we made our first shopping foree’ into this particular warehouse. I’m not sure what Lisa’s impression was but my mind is made up.

To the extend I would ever give much thought to any sort of shopping, I miss Sam’s!

I’m not sure what moment was the tipping point. Maybe it was the arm-twisting that happened as we were first signing in. “No, we don’t want the upcharge. No, we don’t need a new credit card.”

Or maybe it was the interrogation when we were checking out? More than just a perfunctory “Did you find everything you were looking for?” It was more like an interview.

Then, there were some of the intriguing items on the shelves:

  • Albacore Tuna
  • Quinoa
  • Stuffed Grape Leaves

And, of course, best of all: Roasted Seaweed.

image

I know some folks think of it as a delicacy but I can’t get past the notion of Gilligan and the Castaways scarfing it down as a staple foodstuff on the island. Maybe it’s just the meat-n-potatoes guy in me, but I just don’t expect to find roasted seaweed between the bins of bubble gum and large platters of pastries on the shelves of my big box discount warehouse.

Could be this is the difference in a warehouse whose corporate HQ is in the Pacific Northwest rather than the hills of Arkansas. Or maybe I’m just a creature of habit?

I’m sure there are plenty of Farragutters (Farragutians?) who’d consider Costco to be just the ticket. And surely there are plenty of Farragut Foodies who are happy to purchase said items. More power to them. My tastes are just not that refined.

Whatever the case, Lisa will probably make the final call. Still, if she tells me we’re going to let our new membership expire while we renew the old one, she won’t get any argument from me.

Meanwhile, I’ll be over at the snack bar having pizza and coke.

JG

Originally posted 1/13/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...