Thursday, February 9, 2023

I did it too; I challenge you

I’ve been reading about this for the past week or so. Hearing stories; seeing video.

I’ve also been studying the Diffusion of Innovations theory as a part of my preparation for the PRSA APR written exam next month. Simply put, diffusion research examines how ideas are spread among groups of people. 

The diffusion theory examines the spread of innovation, ideas, and technology through a group of people. Some folks are more likely to accept a new idea or concept; others are more likely to resist. Research on the topic delves into how ideas are spread and how people fit into the five groups of Adopter Categorization. According to researchers at Oklahoma University, the break-down is as follows:

  • Innovators 2.5%
  • Early Adopters 13.5%
  • Early Majority 34%
  • Late Majority 34%
  • Laggards 16%

I was shooting for being a part of the Early Majority; but willing to settle for joining the Late Majority. In no case, did I want to be considered a Laggard.

It’s never good to be a Laggard.

So, tonight, I took the #IceBucketChallenge.  

image

It’s not such a bad way to cool off during the dog days of late August! (Figures I’d pick a rainy day.).

As you have probably heard, the #IceBucketChallenge is a viral video movement sweeping the nation calling attention to ALS Awareness. People pour a bucket of ice water over their head and post the video on-line (here’s the video of my refreshing dousing). Then, they challenge others to do the same. If they don’t want to do so, those challenge are asked to make a donation to the ALS charity of their choice. ALS is commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

The ALS website says Beverly, Mass. Resident Pete Frates (and his family) helped to make the “Ice Bucket Challenge” go viral.

According to the ALS, donations to the charity have spiked since July 29. The charity has raised $13.3M since then (compared to $1.7M during the same period last year).  Maybe this latest push will create some momentum to help the association in its fight to wipe out this dread disease. We can all agree on that.

Meanwhile, as for my challenge, you might notice that I donned my Concord Choppers jersey for my challenge. There is a reason for that.

The last time anyone dumped a bucket of ice water on me, I was wearing the selfsame shirt back in June 2010! So, I challenge members of that Choppers team and their fans to take the challenge.  

And I’ll make the $100 donation on behalf of the team.

Meanwhile, loyal readers of Coach Jeff’s Blog, I encourage you take the challenge, too. You know you want to do it!

You guys aren’t laggards.

JG

Originally posted 8/18/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...