Today is the birthday for a number of my friends, so I want to give a Happy Birthday shout out to each and every one of them.
Somehow, some way, I missed one birthday this summer. Amidst all the coverage of the FIFA World Cup last month – along with the hustle/bustle of a busy summer, I missed this detail. Donald Duck celebrated his 80th birthday last month.
There was no grand pronouncement; no major celebration. The birthday happened on June 9. I wish I would’ve known. I would’ve celebrated the big day by wearing my Donald Duck tie!

I didn’t find out about the birthday until I saw a strange advertisement in my Facebook feed for a specially minted Australian coin over the weekend. Because nothing says ‘Happy Birthday’ to a cartoon character than some currency from Down Under!
Because I know the Swedes – Scandinavia in general – have adopted Donald Duck, aka Kalle Anka, as their favorite Disney character, I thought there might have been some sort of special celebration in the northlands. That thought led me to an internet search. No such thing.
I did see a few references to Kalle Anka’s birthday on some Scandinavian websites but it certainly seems as though the big 8-0 went mostly unnoticed there as well.
My theory is that Donald Duck is overshadowed by the other Disney characters. Maybe this is why I took a liking to him. For the ‘old school’ crowd, nothing says Disney like searching for all the ‘hidden Mickeys’ around the park. In the new generation, there are more charismatic heroes and pretty princesses to adore. The venerable ol’ quacker just seems to be largely ignored.
We won’t let the occasion pass here on Coach Jeff’s Blog….even if we are a few weeks late.
So with that, Happy Belated Birthday, Kalle Anka! Here’s to four score (and four score more).
JG
Originally posted 7/14/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment