When Paul was a young tyke, one of his many quotable quotes was “You don’t know what a job is? A job is something you do!”
Ah, true. It is something you do but, it’s so much more. In many ways, our careers help define who we are. I love my current job as the communications lead at the OLCF. I enjoy spending time with the group of professionals with whom I work each day. I’m energized to get up each day and look forward to the challenges and opportunities of the day. It’s a great job.
And before serving in this position, I’ve been blessed to have some great other great opportunities. And I root for the places i used to work - just as I root for my current organization - because each institution is special to me. Each played a special role in my career path.
Recently, I saw the latest television commercials produced for Roane State and that started me thinking about writing tonight’s blog. After I saw one of the tv spots last night, I picked up the phone and called my former assistant today and told her I thought they had done a wonderful job.
Personal. Impactful. Telling the Roane State story. Spot on.
In addition to my current position and the one at RSCC, some other key lines on my resume:
Farragut Press – I served as the founding editor, though a bit precocious as a twenty-something. Nonetheless, I participated in the set up and early development of the newspaper. I hired and trained the first editorial team and helped put together the first edition. If you go into the Farragut Press office, just to the left of the receptionist’s desk, you’ll see a wall hanging, framed, with my byline prominently displayed.
Here’s a personal copy I have kept featuring that edition.

Children’s Hospital – My first P.R. job and, later, a place where both of my kids received the kind of world class care that I had written about years earlier. And, by the way, I love ETCH’s current television campaign as well. The one where they tell us they get kids. You can see the latest ETCH commercial on its webpage.
Maryville College – A special institution that hired me straight out of grad school (and the place where I became a Presbyterian). I met so many wonderful interesting people and I had the opportunity to teach a little, write a little and experience life on a rich, southern liberal arts campus in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.
Great former employers and wonderful places that helped me develop as a public relations professional along my career path.
Still, as much as I feel nostalgic about the past, I have my eye on the future. I work with lots of creative and energetic professionals who are making great discoveries and telling our story. I’ve got a great, supportive boss and I work with a fun and interesting (and productive) team
I love the work and I look forward to continuing to grow and learn and thrive in this excellent place.
JG
Originally posted 3/4/2015
No comments:
Post a Comment