Thursday, February 16, 2023

Game On

To much fanfare, the NFL held its annual schedule-unveiling extravaganza last night. Indeed, mark your calendars now because it won’t be long until football season returns.

I always love the unveiling because I like to think ahead to the coming season. At various points over the summer, I’ll find myself thinking ahead to a potential match-up or the playoff prospects for a particular team.

Of course, I’m hoping this is the year the Titans return to glory but that may be the optimist in me. I do think the rebuilding process in Nashville may be a slow one, but here’s hoping for the best.

Back to the schedule, there are always certain things I look for during the big reveal. Here are some of my hot buttons.

Kickoff Weekend 
Since 2004, the NFL has awarded the first game of the season – traditionally played on Thursday night of the kickoff weekend – to the defending Super Bowl champion. I guess it was the worst kept secret, because of potential opponents, that this season’s game would pit the champs, the New England Patriots, vs. the visiting Pittsburgh Steelers. When you saw New England’s list of home opponents last winter it just seemed like a no-brainer. The NFL confirmed this fact last night.

Thanksgiving Day
I’ve written before about my love of the Thanksgiving Day game. I think it is always interesting to see who the league and networks would select for the traditional match-ups (at Detroit and at Dallas) as well as the third game, added during the modern era.

I’m not a fan of how the networks have started ignoring league affiliation. CBS has the AFC games; FOX the NFC. Except now, anything goes. Indeed, all six teams playing on Thanksgiving Day (Eagles at Lions, Panthers at Cowboys, Bears at Packers) hail from the NFC. What does that say about the networks’ view of the AFC?

Personal Schedule
I’m on a mission to finish out my ‘collection’ of seeing all the teams play at least once. I’m now down to my Final Four. Truthfully, I’ve seen most of the teams play at the Titans but, last fall, I started expanding my reach to expedite the process. I’m now down to these four: Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Minnesota and Detroit. So with the release of the 2015 NFL schedule, I began making my plans.

To help me get across the goal line, so to speak, I’m planning to go to the Tampa Bay at Atlanta game Nov. 1.  That’ll cross two teams off my list. Then, I’m hoping Detroit will play at one of the near-by NFC South teams – Carolina or Atlanta – next fall. The Vikings are set to play at the Titans next year, so that would theoretically give me the complete set.

Also, with the Raiders playing at the Titans this fall, that’s another must-see game for me: my childhood team playing at my favorite team of adulthood. I’ve seen this match-up more than any other (4 times), such as we did back in 2010.

I’m looking forward to it.

image


And I’m looking forward to the 2015 NFL Season. Of course, there are many other must-see games than the ones I listed. I know it’s a long way off, but still, it’s fun to think about the possibilities.

JG

Originally posted 4/22/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...