Thursday, February 9, 2023

Football Paradise

A friend of mine invited me to join him on an outing, recently, to an area sports bar one Sunday afternoon to enjoy some of the NFL games on tap.

His wife was out of town on business so this was a pleasant way for him to pass the time. I agreed to join him.

I’ve been to sports bars before - and to other establishments that feature a number of television screens tuned to sporting events – but I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to experience. I walked into the restaurant and into the tv room and, as I passed over the threshold, I moved from ‘the real world’ into football paradise.

If you’re familiar with the NFL schedule at all, you know how it works. On any given Sunday, at 1 p.m. EST, the nation is treated to the bulk of pro football games. It can be anywhere from five to eight games during the 1 p.m. time slot. And such was the case on this particular day.

Upon entering this room, I am greeted by football fanatics – wearing the jersey of their choice – cheering for their team with their heart and soul.

image

The room is ringed with large televisions (and a few smaller screens) tuned to the various games. My friend and I chose a seat and I noticed that from my vantage point, I could see the majority of games.

Starting on my left – and arching all the way to my periphery on the right – I saw the following teams in action: Jets, Titans, Jets again, SteelersChiefs, Titans, 49ersJaguarsFalcons, Chiefs again and Cowboys

The only game I couldn’t see – directly behind me – was the Detroit Lions’ game.

Talk about a sensory overload.

During a season like this – when our Tennessee Titans are just plain lousy – this isn’t a bad alternative. I could keep track of our losing effort and, all the while, tuning from game to game. It’s like getting the “NFL Red Zone” live and in person!

Watch part of a game, see a team score, the tv commercial comes on and you pivot – left or right – and catch the action from a different venue.  It was an amazing experience.

Another of my friend’s buddies joined us and so, when the Titan outcome was secure, I bid him farewell. As much as I enjoyed the 1 o’clock games, I’m not sure my senses could’ve endured another three hours! 

Too much of a good thing…and all that.

JG

Originally posted 11/18/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...