Thursday, February 9, 2023

Flight Aware

I’ve been thinking a lot about airline travel recently. I think part of that is because Holly is scheduled to fly home for the holidays in a mere 10 days.

But part of it is because this is a topic that fascinates me. The notion that you can wake up in your own bed in the morning and be on the other side of the country (or fly across the pond as we did earlier this year) never ceases to amaze me.

I think this is a trait I have inherited from my dad. He has always been interested in flight and was, in fact, a private pilot when I was a teenager. 

Even though I find the technology – and support system behind the scenes – enthralling, I am equally befuddled by the economics of the airline industry. I don’t understand the pricing structure and, the recent announcement by Delta Airlines of its seating ‘rebranding’ strikes me as another opportunity for ‘the man’ to stick it to you

It is said that, in the South, if you want to go somewhere, anywhere, you fly Delta. So if you are one of their frequent fliers, be aware (this is one reason we usually make the effort to drive to Nashville and fly with Southwest). They are about to change the pricing structure.

In short, if you want to pay what you used to pay to just sit in coach, be prepared to

  • Have no opportunity for seat selection
  • Sit in the Middle Seat
  • Be nickel and dimed

I am not as aware of what the other major carriers are planning to do but usually what one does the others will follow.

Anyway, check out the article for the details.

While I was reading it, I found an interesting little sidebar about seat selection (and your personality). What does it say about you if you prefer aisle, window (or if you get stuck in the middle).

Back in the spring, when we went to visit Holly in Europe, we tried to be as strategic as possible with our ticket purchases while not bashing our budget. During our trans Atlantic flight we tried to group our three seats. That way, we could trade out who got the middle seat and we could move around a bit.

image

During the flight to AZ and back in August, we went window/aisle/aisle and that worked great. Of course, we had the option for seat selection and that made all the difference in the world.

Still, I guess I like the ol’ Southwest method. Be prepared. Log on at the right time 23 hours and 59 minutes before your flight and get the best possible place in line. Then, you get to make that selection for yourself.

Of course, if you want to enhance your chance, you can always pay a nominal fee for ‘preferred status.’ 

You see, when you boil it down, it’s a business. Everyone is in it for a buck!

JG

Originally posted 12/10/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...