As we were unpacking our boxes of Christmas decorations last weekend, we ran across one of the kids’ favorite pieces from their childhood - a stuffed cactus decked out for the holidays.
Back in the day, if you were to push a button, he would sway back and forth and sing “Feliz Navidad.” The musical function became defunct long ago. Now, we can only hear the song in our memories.
Before I tell you the story of Mr. Cactus, a disclaimer. He’s not p.c. What he is, in fact, is a stuffed cactus dressed in garb that you might’ve seen in a 1940s western movie depiction of a character from south of the border.
If we had considered making this purchase now, as opposed in the mid 90s, I would have exercised a modicum of restraint and said ‘No.’ Just not the right thing to do. Sensitivities and general awareness were different then, and the impulse purchase was made. The kids really loved him.
Anyway, back to Mr. Cactus…

We encountered him – and several of his buddies – in a department store during one of our day after Christmas’ shopping outings. Holly was a little girl; Paul a tiny tot. He pushed the button and made the doll sing, and the kids chuckled. Then, Holly gave it a try. Then Paul again.
Soon, lightbulbs came on.
Each of these cacti could sing. What if they were to sing in unison?
Before long, all the buttons were pushed and before you know it, the sing-song “Feliz Navidad” sounded like the kind of loud white noise you’d hear in a football stadium. Forty-four stuffed, toy cacti were singing and each a little behind the tempo of the guy next to him.
Disclaimer #2: I may or may not have been involved in the deed.
I sure was involved in the group laughter, however. So was my sister and my dad and the two kiddos. It was one of those kind of soul-cleansing, feel it to the core, somewhat painful guffaws. I can still imagine the feeling.
I can also still remember the disapproving face of the grandmotherly shopper who gave me a nasty look. You know the one. You’ve seen it on the face of church ladies, librarians or the prim lady down the block. Reading glasses on the end of the nose, eyebrows arched over the top of her frames. Total disapproval.
She was not impressed.
I tried to compose myself and acknowledge her dismay, but then I busted out in laughter again. She shook her head, disgustedly and moved on to a more peaceful section of the store.
That was the perfect punctuation to a great family memory.
Everytime we unpack our boxes at Christmas – and every time I see our colorful cactus – I am reminded of holiday mirth from year’s of yor. And I laugh out loud every single time. If you and your family have a similar holiday memory, I’m sure you can relate.
It’s one of those fun strands of the holiday fabric that envelopes us this time of year. Invariably, one of us will notice Mr. Cactus and mention that day from 15ish years ago.
Fun times.
As a postscript, Holly sent me a note late last night. She had run across a tumblr post of a man conducting a chorus of singing Rudolphs in a very similar (albeit more P.C.) fashion. I told her the timing couldn’t have been better as I had been planning to write this edition and devote it to our infamous shopping outing. And, I had to admire the man’s creativity.

Oh and one more thing. Disclaimer #3: A similar thing may or may not have happened with a group of talking Barney the Dinosaurs (and I may or may not have been involved with that caper as well).
JG
Originally posted 12/3/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment