Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Day of Service

Today, America MLK birthday of Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ,with a Day of Service.

This serves a perfect time to tell you that, as of yesterday, I have returned to active service as an Elder in the PC-USA and a member of our church’s governing body, The Session. My installation service – along with other members of our ‘class – took place yesterday at church and was very meaningful.

Three years ago, Coach Jeff’s Blog about rotating off Session after three years of service. Now, I’m happy to return to active service after a three-year hiatus.

I am proud and honored to have this opportunity to serve my community.

image

 

Volunteer service has long been one of the common threads of Coach Jeff’s Blog and I guess the name, itself, hints at that basic foundation. For 11 happy years, I served as a coach and league official for Farragut Baseball, Inc.

More recently, I provided community service through Farragut High School’s Theater Arts Boosters (TAB) organization as a board member, as a treasurer, as a volunteer publicity rep and, most notably, by rolling up my sleeves and doing what was needed on workdays.

And, as I mentioned earlier, I have served my church as a member of Session and last year as a member of our church’s Pastor Nominating Committee. I’ve served in other capacities as well.

I’m not writing this blog today to pat myself on the back. Far from it. Also, I’m not vetting text for my CV.  My purpose, today, is to endorse the call to action that has prompted Americans in every corner of the country to do their part to make their communities just a little better.

You see, my own history of community service shows you can do your part in a variety of ways. You can do it with a hammer and a paintbrush, a shovel and a rake, a laptop and a camera. The important thing is to find your role and then go do it. 

Find a niche. Play a part. Take a stand.

Your local school has needs. Call them. Ask how you can help. In a like manner, the neighborhood where you live has an association. Contact your local representative and find out where there are needs.  The Sunday newspaper in your city likely has a local philanthropy column. There, it will list a number of volunteer opportunities.

The new year is not so old. There’s still time to make a New Year’s Resolution. Maybe that resolution can be community service of some sort.

When we think of ‘giving’ in this country, we so often think of cutting a check. You write the check, mail it in and you feel better.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. But, you can do more. Or maybe you can’t afford a significant donation of your treasure. Remember, time and talent are equal parts of that giving triangle.

Serve as a tutor. Volunteer at the local food pantry. Join a committee.

Or, be like me and coach a team! I did that for 11 rewarding years and I wouldn’t trade them for gold.

JG

Originally posted 1/19/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...