Thursday, February 2, 2023

Blood Kin

Today, during my lunch hour, I did my part.

At my workplace, we have had the MEDIC mobile blood unit on site this week. So, I took a little time today and went over to donate a pint of blood.

We often hear about how there are blood shortages around town - especially on or near holidays. I have never really understood how the blood supply could ebb and flow (so to speak) but I take the information at face value. 

Anyway, 20 minutes of my time doesn’t seem to be a lot to ask, right? So…consider today’s posting to be our annual Coach Jeff’s Blog PSA.

As a tiny tot, I used to be squeamish at the site of blood; at the mere thought of blood. But, through my teen years, I was able to outgrow that quirk. Now, talking about donating blood seems no different than talking about donating any of your other time and treasure.

The folks in the mobile MEDIC unit were friendly, professional and efficient. And that is good because they had quite a positive turnout today.

I would definitely recommend that, if you get a chance, you donate. It’s not such a bad thing. If for no other reason, do it for your family; do it for your blood kin.

image

Here’s all that’s involved:

  • A Quick Screening
  • A Bit of Medical History
  • The final step

The screening is interesting because the interviewer asks you a lot of questions in rapid fire succession. Even though it is hard to keep up with her, this is an important step to ensure that only proper donors move on to the next round.

At that point, basically, they ‘hook you up.’ And you let nature take its course.

There was a nice lady across the way doing her part. The two of us visited and we also chatted with the two phlebotomists who were criss-crossing the van taking care of their business.

Before too long, your pint bag is filled and you move on. 

The MEDIC team members ask you to stick around for a couple minutes to make sure you are none the worse for the wear. You get a quick snack. And then you are on your way…with a t-shirt in your hand and a good feeling in your heart because you know you just did the right thing.

JG

Originally posted 7/8/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...