Sunday, January 22, 2023

Weather Report

Generations of Garys have been weather watchers.

I am fascinated by meteorology. My dad introduced me to this pastime because he, too, is a weather enthusiast. His dad, my grandfather, spent a great portion of his work-life traveling up and down the Mississippi River. Weather, obviously, was of great interest to him and vital to his work.

Who knows? My great-grandfather might have been a weather watcher as well.

Among the many great gifts I received for my recent birthday was the one that came from my best friend, Ed. He knows of my interest in following the weather and, actually, has a similar interest. Many of our email threads contain a local weather (wx) report.

Knowing my interest in meteorology, Ed picked out a great, home, wireless weather station. I can imagine the entire family will enjoy having this new tool at our fingertips.  Everyone in our house follows the weather.

Holly noted, over the weekend, that we really didn’t have a need to watch The Weather Channel.  I replied, “Yeah, we can have ‘Local on the 8’s’ whenever we want!”

This weather station has two pieces – an outdoor sensor and an inside desktop display. The indoor unit reports the data gathered by the outdoor sensor (and transmitted wirelessly) – information such as barometric pressure, relative humidity, wind speed (and direction), temperature and a brief forecast. 

image

image

This morning, for example, it reported ‘rain’ - a no brainer when you looked out the window! But, the 97% relative humidity reading was also indicative.  

Over the course of the four seasons, I’m sure we will see lots of interesting weather readings. I can imagine really windy days in the spring or advancing weather systems of wintery precipitation. We’ll have a lot of fun with it and it’ll be a good learning/sharing experience for us.

I received a lot of great, generous gifts during my recent birthday. This one is particularly cool because it is a gift that keeps giving.

Data.

JG

Originally posted 6/10/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...