Sunday, January 22, 2023

Uptalk Girl

All my life, I have worked with words. Because of my chosen vocation, I tend to notice things like witty dialogue, memorable lyrics or even quirks in speech.

Last year, for example, I wrote about buzzwords in the workplace.

Recently, as I was walking through a mall, I heard the most curious conversation between two young ladies. One ended each sentence with a question - even if she wasn’t asking one. Her friend might have had a severe case of laryngitis…except she didn’t.

The first woman in the mall scene was practicing the current speaking pattern that some linguists have labeled ‘uptalk.’ You have probably heard this. I know, right?

Uptalk doesn’t need the ‘right’ and the ‘question mark’ to turn a statement into an inquiry, though. It just happens.

It’s done by inflection. 

(Just imagine I am talking and I repeated the last sentence. It’s done by inflection?). Question is where there is no question.

Now that I’ve mentioned uptalk, I’m sure you’ll notice it all around you. It seems to be a trendy tool in talk. As fashionable as it may be, nothing can compete with another linguistic movement – vocal fry. That’s what was going on with mall lady’s pal.

I feel sure if you happened by this area of the newsstand, it might be very possible to hear patrons using this speech pattern. 

image

Researchers say it is definitely NOT a guy thing.

I was trying to describe this term to someone the other day. Remember the Hardee’s tv commercial with the receptionists (“That phone is soooo annnoyyingggg.”). That’s it.

I think it’s a case of: “Valley Girl Meets 21st Century.” In any case, it’s not something that a guy with any sense of dignity should try to imitate.

Better for me to show you with some examples:


Ahem…

There’s nothing wrong with these speech patterns, I guess. In fact, it may be fun for those engaging in the trend. The one caveat to this, of course, is if researchers determine that vocal fry is damaging. I’ll post an update if I hear anything like that. 

Meanwhile, I’m not sure how long vocal fry and uptalk will be around. Some day some other trend will move in and they will go the way of “I’m so sure,” “As if” and “Like.” 

Stilllllllllll, it’s an interestingggggggg idea to considerrrrrrrrr. Definitely a topic for the blog?

JG

Originally posted 10/1/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...