We’re now a couple days into the new year; have a couple work days under our belt. I think it’s probably a safe time to roll out a piece on New Year’s resolutions.
When I was younger, I didn’t really like to get into the practice but as I have gotten older, I have grown to see the value in listing some reasonable goals for the year. I think ‘moderation’ is the key.
For example, I think we all agree that exercising more and eating a healthier diet is all a worthwhile goal. But, people overdo. They’ll set a goal like:
“In 2014, I’m going to go to the gym five times a week!”
Then, reality sits in. Schedules shift. Duties pile up. And then, the five times a week becomes three…or two. By February, these over-doers get frustrated and drop out.
In a like manner, the same go-getter will say “I’m going to eat five fruits and vegetables at every meal.”

Or, “I’m going hard and fast on the (insert name of fad) diet.” Again, real-life gets in the way. Six weeks in, they throw up their hands in disgust and hit the fast food circuit.
Wouldn’t those resolutions be much more attainable if we were to say things like “I’m going to exercise more in 2014 than I did last year.” Or “I’m going to try to cut back on the junk food and eat more fruits and veggies.” ?
Anyway, that’s my approach.
In 2014, I’m also going to try to address the following areas:
Career-minded –
Now that I’ve spent the last two months of 2013 learning my new job, I am really looking forward to excel in the workplace. I like my boss and my team and the work we do. I’m looking forward to all the exciting work we’ll do this year.
The Teams List –
I want to cross off a few more teams from my ‘to see list.’ For example, in the NFL, I’m hoping maybe to see Seattle or Detroit play next fall.
I have seen all but five NFL teams. I was fortunate to have been able to see Arizona play at the Titans a few weeks ago to get the number down to the final five.

Kinder and Gentler –
We ‘oldests’ have a reputation for enforcing ‘the rules’ (even if those around us aren’t interested in following them). Without compromising principle, I am hoping to be a little less rigid in 2014. I’m hoping the whole process might benefit others. In any case, being ‘laid back’ or ‘low key’ is not necessarily a bad thing, right?
So, there you have it. That’s my plan for success in the new year.
Whether you decide to ‘resolve to…’ or not, I hope you, too, find success and happiness in 2014.
JG
Originally posted 1/3/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment