PRSA has a credential called the APR (Accredited in Public Relations).
For years it has been my goal to pursue attaining this credential.
The Volunteer Chapter of PRSA, the local organization, has established a
series of study sessions to help experienced public relations practitioners
work toward this goal. After years in which the timing and circumstances
didn’t line up for me to pursue accreditation, I decided to make it a
priority in 2014. Call it one of my New Year’s Resolutions!
I attended the organizational meeting three weeks ago. I heard more
about the program and felt, again, the timing was right for me to do this.
So, last night, I attended the second session. I spent time reading
through the study guide devoted to last night’s two topics. Then, I
attended the session.
When I walked into the familiar surroundings of the conference room at
the local American Cancer Society office last night, I also saw the familiar
face of one of my former co-workers and long-time friend, Michael Holtz.
Michael was one of the two facilitators of last night’s session. I want to
send a shout-out to him for co-leading last night’s class.
Also, I want to give a tip of the cap to Megan Brown, also of the ACS.
Another former colleague of mine, she is coordinating the entire course.
There is a cohort group who is meeting and going through the process
together. We will all provide support and encouragement to each other.
And the sessions provide a great opportunity to brainstorm.
We will meet every three weeks over the course of this spring. If all goes
well, at that point, we’d take the next steps in the process, which
includes a portfolio review and a computer-based exam.
The wonderful thing about the study guide is that the material is familiar.
Also, going through the material is also very helpful as I continue to learn
and grow in my new job. Much of it will be applicable to what I do. It’s
also very interesting and fun.

I have always enjoyed the notion of life-long learning. For example,
before I became a successful youth baseball coach, I had to learn how
to teach the game. Understanding it and loving it and knowing how to
successfully teach the game are two separate things.
Earlier, when Lisa and I had a successful and thriving vegetable garden,
it was the result of many hours of research and planning. The payoff was
both nutritious AND yummy!
The end result of this work will be fruitful in a totally different manner, of
course, but I am excited about the process and the opportunity it
presents.
JG
Originally posted 3/5/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment