Saturday, January 28, 2023

Significance of the Day

I’m feeling just a little more patriotic this year. Memorial Day 2014 feels a bit more than just a well-placed three day weekend.

Going through customs in Toronto last week, it felt especially nice when the U.S. border agent said “Welcome Home.”

Tonight, we’ll welcome home the last of our European travelers when Holly touches down in Nashville and then it will be family time for the summer. 

I know she is looking forward to watching baseball and eating barbecue. I know she is looking forward to all the aspects of American life that we take for granted. She has been pining for macaroni and cheese for weeks.

Today, many of our friends will be on the lake or on holiday. Dedicated Southerners will commemorate Decoration Day. Some folks will be hiking in the mountains; others will be grilling in the back yard.

Our family had some yummy chicken on the grill just last night.

We don’t spend much time talking about the notion of American freedoms; we probably think about it even less.

image

Whether you are watching a baseball game this afternoon or spending time at the pool or hanging out with friends, the freedom to do all of those things is paid for by the brave young men and women who serve our country; to protect it and keep it safe.

I hope you’ll take a moment to join me at some point today and you’ll reflect on the significance of the day. 

Happy Memorial Day, 2014.

JG

Originally posted 5/26/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...