Saturday, January 28, 2023

Random Things From the Road

I’ve driven back and forth to Atlanta twice in the last week and one thing I have decided is you see lots of random things along the roadside between here and there.

Abandoned Items – A cooler, a gas can, a clothes basket, shards of shredded tires. One unlucky driver of long-haul truck lost one just ahead of us.  I watched the rubber disintegrate and fly everywhere. Question: Does that make him a 17 wheeler?

Speaking of trucks – I noticed that many of them have become, in essence, rolling billboards. I saw trucksides, yesterday, peddling such delicacies as waffles, hush puppies and little snack cakes. Who wouldn’t want to pull over and visit a convenience store to purchase said confection?

At any rate, that particular tractor trailer truck looked a lot like the one featured recently in the Houston Press.

image

Planted along the roadside – The South is very religious, so I guess it isn’t surprising to find huge crosses up and down I-75. The South is also very patriotic. As we approach July 4th, it’s logical to see large versions of the Stars and Stripes flying proudly everywhere.

There are also many kitschy shops and a few tacky ones (with billboards to match). I generally don’t give them much thought but occasionally you have to chuckle.

Some other thoughts about my recent roadtrips:

Gridlock – As much as I enjoy my trips to Atlanta, I’m not sure if I could deal with the rush hour traffic. Yesterday, for example, the gridlock extended 30 miles (and three counties) before it begins to break up. In addition to the expected traffic snarls, a trip down and back usually includes some sort of unexpected blockage. You’re driving along. You see taillights. You stop. After a while, you start back up. You never know why the cars and trucks came to a sudden stop. 

Then there’s the issue of road construction, which seems to be a never-ending enterprise in our country. I noticed, as I was taking the 285 by-pass out of town yesterday, they were ready to crank it up. Beginning last night, G-DOT was scheduling evening road construction (the action started, promptly, at 9 p.m.).

Pop Up Showers – And what’s a roadtrip without a few unexpected thunderstorms? About the time I drove out of the traffic jam, yesterday, I drove into heavy rain. On the downside, it reduced my speed greatly. On the plus side, it cleaned all the bug splatters off my windshield.

One last thought: there’s nothing so wonderful after a journey than the sight of home. For me, it comes in a sequence. There’s “the split” (the junction of I-75 and I-40). Not long after the split, there is my home interstate exit. And a few minutes later, after driving past numerous local landmarks, I turn into my own neighborhood.

Finally, the nicest sight of all: HOME. Be it ever so humble…

JG

Originally posted 6/19/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...