I’ve been thinking a lot about this weekend’s FHS prom. I think it is on my mind because we have moved into the final six weeks of our last senior year and these milestones keep coming at us fast and furiously.
Paul and many of his friends have been emailing, texting and sending Facebook messages about plans for pre-prom photos. They’re trying to coordinate that around their weekend trip to state competition for theatre. It’s a tough job.
The timing of this prom coinciding with state competition poses numerous logistical challenges – when/where to do dinner, how to handle pix, what about flowers, etc. I know that past proms have also coincided with state competitions too…but our family wasn’t involved with those. So, this feels a little more personal. And more pressure-packed.
These seniors are busy!
I guess it felt like we were busy, too, as seniors. It was just simpler then.
We did do some of the fun prom-related add-ons. For example, we planned a post-prom party (it was nice of my folks to agree to host that). Many of the people who came to the party didn’t attend prom. I think some of them could have but chose not to do so. Still, we had a nice, fun gathering that spring night.
Also, after the party, we went to a midnight movie. Somewhere just after that movie started, I officially turned 18 years old. I thought it was interesting how the sequence of events played out. Thinking back, we obviously had a late prom (I mean late in the school year). We graduated a week later.
Our prom theme was “The Best of Times.”

I told you yesterday it was hosted in the FHS Commons. I also showed you my ‘classic’ gray tux. We had dinner that night, before prom, at the Copper Cellar.
I remember some years later that my sister went to her FHS prom, too. I recall that she went with the brother of one of her friends and I seem to recall that they had some sort of sleepover after the fact – kind of similar to what this current group is planning to do.
Last night, Holly and one of her close friends took a collection of dresses to someone who might need a dress this weekend. I think they had a fun time trying them on. Holly went to both her junior and senior proms (as I mentioned yesterday) so she had some good selections to offer.
We knew this senior year had the potential to be somewhat of a blur. We also realized it would be busy. Both of those things have been true.
But, as I’ve told you before, Lisa and I have just decided to hang on and enjoy the ride.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment