Holly’s birthday was on Sunday, as I mentioned earlier. What I didn’t realize is that her March 17 birthday is bookended by two Presidential Birthdays.
In fact, even though we celebrate Presidents’ Day in February, you could make an argument in favor of doing the same in March. Presidents Madison (16th), Tyler (15th), Jackson (29th) and Cleveland (18th) fall during this month.
Madison. Tyler. Jackson. Cleveland. Sounds like a list current middle schoolers!
James Madison, who was our fourth President, is probably as well known for his lovely wife, Dolley as he was for being the major author of the U.S. Constitution. I didn’t realize until reading about his birthday just how small he was in physical stature.
Of course, we’ve all heard about how Mrs. Madison began building the modern model of a first lady that we have come to know and appreciate. Also, she receives big kudos for saving the iconic portrait of George Washington when the White House was threatened during The War of 1812.
As for Jackson, Old Hickory, we know so much about him as Tennesseans - and NOT just because his face is on the 20 dollar bill.

He’d make any Top 10 list of famous folks hailing from The Volunteer State (even though he was not born here). I was really moved by the striking images of Jackson shot by photographer Mathew Brady. I had never seen this photo until just a few weeks back.
In some ways, Jackson seems to have fallen early in the timeline of our country but when you actually see a photograph, that makes it seem more recent.
Cleveland, of course, was President. Then not President. Then was President again. That’s noteworthy. Never happened before or since.
As for Tyler…well…there was the famous slogan.
Anyway, thinking about these four Presidents and their March birthdays, it seems to me there must be something to having a cluster of birthdays so close together. I’m not sure what it does mean. It just feels significant.
If nothing else, if the Washington Nationals decide to ‘recast’ the Racing Presidents, they could consider doing a March group. Call them the ‘Marching Presidents.’ Maybe this group of mascots would be the ones to go to spring training and the Mount Rushmore gang would do the regular season games.
Just a thought.
JG
Originally posted 3/20/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment