Thursday, January 26, 2023

Linked In

Social media is a wonderful tool. I’m a big fan.

The various outlets of social media are invaluable communication channels for someone in my line of work – the field of public relations. But, it’s also a nice way to stay in touch with friends, family members and former co-workers.

We’ve been able to chat with Holly on a regular basis during her time in France and we’ve learned a lot about her experiences through her vlog on YouTubeFacebook has been a great way to stay connected to friends from throughout our lives. Earlier today, I received a lunch invitation from members of our high school class who are gathering on Friday. Unfortunately, my schedule precludes my attendance but, still, it was nice to be included.

Twitter is nice, too for getting out quick blasts of information. I use email, constantly, and Ed and I have continued quite a nice thread of conversation using that technology. Oh, and then, there’s Coach Jeff’s Blog! Thanks for continuing to be a loyal reader!

All of these tools were helpful during my job search last year. And of those, I’d say LinkedIn was the one I benefitted from the most – in terms of networking, updating my contacts about the search and also learning about opportunities. 

LinkedIn proved to be a valuable communication channel in another way last week. One day, I opened up my account and found a note in my in box from my friend, Steve, the best man at our wedding.

image

I remember Steve did so many nice things in his role as Best Man. He even explained the special artwork that so many wedding attendees left for us on Lisa’s car that day!

image

Over the years, the four of us - the two couples - were great friends. Then, a few years back, Steve and his wife, Robin, moved and we didn’t know about that. One year, a Christmas card bounced back to us and we weren’t sure how to get in touch with them. So, we fell out of contact at that point.

Then, last summer, when Holly was putting together the guest list for my 50th birthday bash, she found Steve on LinkedIn and sent him a message. He didn’t receive that message in time to come to the party – I think he doesn’t check the account that often – but he did send me a note afterward.

Then, last week, I received another. I wrote back right away and so did he. One thing led to another, and then I received a phone call one day during my lunch break. We chatted for a few minutes – it seemed like old times – and we have exchanged a couple emails since then.

Steve and I lived in the same neighborhood and played a lot of sports together growing up. During high school, we were cordial (though not close). Then, he was in town during a time when he did a long-term engineering co-op program in Oak Ridge. We ran into each other at the mall one night and re-connected.

We did a lot of things together during that era and, eventually, we traded off roles in serving as each other’s best man – our weddings were six months apart – as we transitioned from our college years into young professionals and new marrieds.

We reminisced about some of those fun times when we spoke last week. We also caught up on the various developments in our respective lives – jobs, kids, parents, etc.

Most importantly, we agreed to stay in touch. I told him we should meet the next time I’m in Atlanta (for a Braves game or whatever reason) and he agreed they’d look us up the next time he’s back home visiting with his folks. I really do think we’ll stay in touch and that’s a good thing.

It’s yet another example of the positive outcomes you can achieve when you properly use social media. It’s very nice when you and an old and dear friend are able to be “Linked In.”

JG

Originally posted 1/22/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...