Sunday, January 22, 2023

How Was Your Weekend?

It’s a common question. You hear it all the time. In fact, it was what everyone was asking almost everywhere I went today.

How was your weekend?

I think it’s a natural conversation starter and, on the heels of a nice long 3-day holiday weekend, it was something pleasant to discuss. And, most everyone experienced it. So wherever you go – an office, a shop, a waiting room or even on an elevator ride, it’s what people were talking about.

I was even asked about my weekend late this afternoon at the gym.

image

In a doctor’s office, I heard two ladies chatting about their visits to Dollywood for the holiday, yesterday and how one family ‘closed the place down.’ Seems they stayed way past someone’s bed time!

When I went to get a haircut late this afternoon, the stylist was telling me about how she and her boyfriend competed in a card tournament this weekend.

She proclaimed, proudly, “I came in second.” (Presumably, the boyfriend finished below her in the standings.).

Another lady was telling a friend about a painter who came to her home this weekend and messed up the paint job. On top of that, she added, he left her living room ‘in a mess.’

It’s a funny thing about human interaction. We want to find common ground. You were at the ballgame on Saturday? So was I! You went to churchMe too! You ordered pizzaThat’s what WE had on Saturday night.

I think this is one reason we always talk about the weather. It’s a safe topic and it is something we all experience.

The Vols are another source of commonality. No matter what your opinion is of college football, the fact of the matter is that the Vols affect us all. This is true whether you are a die-hard Vols’ fan who signs every email with ‘GBO’ or whether you detest all sports but just take note of the kickoff time so you can schedule your trip to the mall or dinner out at the trendy new restaurant in town

The Big Orange make a huge impact on the local economy and also on the psyche of Vol Nation. Somehow, we are all connected by the UT football team.

I have a great story to illustrate this point. 

Some years ago, one of my wife’s co-workers was filling his automobile at the local gas station. This guy was about as far from being a sports fan as you could possibly imagine. Just at the moment he began to gas up, a heavily orange-clad enthusiast pulled in right next to him. 

You know the guy. He calls into Sports Talk. He lives and dies with every game. Car flags. Bumper stickers. His car horn may even play the first bars of “Rocky Top.”

Anyway, he couldn’t wait to engage my wife’s co-worker in Vol Talk. After a few failed attempts to make eye contact, he blurted out, “Why, with the way you pump that gas, I’d say you was a Vollllllllllllll fan?”

I don’t remember the response. It was likely NOT a confirmation of commonality.

But, in hallways, offices and all around town, we all shared the common gift of the wonderful weekend just past and many folks were excited to chat about the details; to bask in one last glow of the final of summer’s three holidays.

And the great thing about any holiday weekend? It makes for a short work week and brings the next weekend that much closer.

JG

Question of the Day: How was YOUR weekend?

Originally posted 9/3/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...