Thursday, January 26, 2023

Hearts and Flowers

You know what today is?

Fellas, if you haven’t bought something for that certain special someone, better go do it now. Ladies, if you think he hasn’t gone shopping, this is a good time to throw a few hints.

During my high school (and early college) years, I never seemed to time Valentine’s Day very well. Most years, I was in between relationships. My senior year in high school, which was one of my most successful in the romance world, was no different. My on-again/off-again relationship with the young lady who I took to my senior prom was going through an ‘off-again’ phase that February.

On the plus side, my winter slumps saved me some money through the years; on the downside, it meant a few lonely Februaries.

This holiday, after all, is for lovers. It is a special feeling, indeed, when someone lovely whispers “Be My Valentine.”

image

I have to say, being past all that is a nice feeling. Marriage has many benefits. Knowing who your Valentine’s Date is every year is one of them.

If you are in the husband club with me, you know what I mean. Still, guys, make sure you do your part. Go get that card and chocolate guys. Make reservations for dinner now. You don’t want to take her for granted just because your dance card is punched.

And ladies and gentlemen, if you don’t have a Valentine to celebrate with this year, hope springs eternal. Maybe this will be the night you meet that certain special someone.

If you do, wouldn’t that be a great story to tell your grandkids?

JG

Originally posted 2/14/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...